Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System

#1   IP: 67.84.97.94
Old 04-20-2014, 06:49 AM

Zinc

Good morning, Happy Easter, hope all had a good Passover...

Quick question regarding the zinc for the heat exchanger. The PO installed a MMI heat exchanger. I need to replace the zinc. As much as possible, I purchase my parts from our sponsor, but it seems a little crazy to pay for shipping for just the zinc. I bet Ken wouldn't even take my order!

Can I just get a pencil zinc off the shelf as long as it fits in the bolt? Is there something I am missing here? The MMI replacement has the zinc and the retaining bolt which is recessed to hold it.

Sometimes the simple stuff baffles me.

Skywalker
  #2   IP: 76.7.151.31
Old 04-20-2014, 08:13 AM
Afourian MVP

I have the HX as part of the FW kit I bought from Moyers. I can find zincs locally, correct diameter but they are too long. I just saws-all off about a 1/2 inch and all is well. I have looked on line and the "odd"/correct size makes them $$$. So I just buy several and prep them all at the same time.
Dan S/V Marian Claire
  #3   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 04-20-2014, 08:55 AM
Afourian MVP

Smile Keep a few around.

I had one of our members show me a zinc out of a heat exchanger yesterday. He bought his FWC from MMI about 3 yrs ago and was changing zinc yearly. This latest one was gone about 1/2 and he is waiting to pick up another early next week.

FWIW, when buying these things I look at them as I do my vehicles and parts (IE) brakes, that wear regularly and have to be replaced regularly. Fuel filters, zincs, anodes, fuses, plugs, impellers etc...buy a few up front and have them around for when you need them.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #4   IP: 67.84.97.94
Old 04-20-2014, 11:38 AM

As always, thanks.

I wasn't sure if the contact between the retaining bolt and the since was an issue. I'll find a 1/2 inch and cut it to length.

BTW, launch date set for April 30!! Earliest in a decade for me. I'm not taking her out for a couple of seasons now. I did the bottom, put on an extra coat of paint, so barring any unforeseen difficulties (what could go wrong, it's only a sailboat), my next haul should be the fall of 2016 at the earliest.

One or two little things left to do in between getting my daughters back from Ohio State University and Temple University. Lots of driving in store for me between their athletic banquets and bringing them home.

Skywalker
  #5   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 04-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
As always, thanks.

I wasn't sure if the contact between the retaining bolt and the since was an issue. I'll find a 1/2 inch and cut it to length.

BTW, launch date set for April 30!! Earliest in a decade for me. I'm not taking her out for a couple of seasons now. I did the bottom, put on an extra coat of paint, so barring any unforeseen difficulties (what could go wrong, it's only a sailboat), my next haul should be the fall of 2016 at the earliest.

One or two little things left to do in between getting my daughters back from Ohio State University and Temple University. Lots of driving in store for me between their athletic banquets and bringing them home.

Skywalker
If you are on a mooring ensure everything is checked and keep two sets of bridals...one a little longer than your regular bridals. I'm a firm believer in long bridals if you have swing room.

In the even of a major storm approaching your normal bridals with chafe gear are used then have the second set laying there attached to the boat as well (every boat is different so you will need to figure that out). Constant eye and ear on weather should allow ample time to visit the boat and attach your "back-ups" should a storm be inbound.

I did that with my 24 footer which weathered 5 days of dolphin diving on a mooring one fall, after we removed the docks. I had a back-up set 24 feet long attached to the boat as well...her "normal, everyday bridals" were 20 feet between the ball and the bow. During that fall it was so rough I couldn't get to the boat to check her...when I finally got out 5 days later the chaffing gear was still intact on the "normal" bridals. That only happened because there was enough rope to take the shock out of the 3 strand 5/8 bridal ropes.

Best of Luck and Happy Sailing.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 04-21-2014 at 08:50 PM.
  #6   IP: 67.84.97.94
Old 04-21-2014, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the thoughts Mo.

I am on a mooring for the season, but during the winter she will be tucked away in a slip. The yacht club is 1/2 mile from my house, so I can check her regularly. I don't use the club during the season anymore because there is too little water. It is a very protected little cove, a great hurricane hole, but the channel has filled in due to prior dredging spoils being dumped and changing water patterns.

But, hey, there is a lot of sailing to due between now and November!!

Skywalker
  #7   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 04-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Thanks for the thoughts Mo.

I am on a mooring for the season, but during the winter she will be tucked away in a slip. The yacht club is 1/2 mile from my house, so I can check her regularly. I don't use the club during the season anymore because there is too little water. It is a very protected little cove, a great hurricane hole, but the channel has filled in due to prior dredging spoils being dumped and changing water patterns.

But, hey, there is a lot of sailing to due between now and November!!

Skywalker
You are closer to your boat than I am mine. 2.7 miles from the house to where I step out of the truck and walk down the dock. Nice to have things close, especially when you forget something. I'd like to be in an area where I could sail almost all year. I still think I'd take the boat out yearly and putter with it for a month or so. Best of both worlds would be my own place on the water and pull and launch the boat right there...lol...like walking out to the garage and playing with a car!

Have a great season and post a few pics when you get out sailing. We all do this forum etc to support our hobby / passion....sailing.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#8   IP: 50.29.96.225
Old 04-22-2014, 07:47 AM

Unfortunately, the harbor I sail out of is Mt. Sinai, which is about 8 miles away. Great little harbor, active sailing club, deep water. The yacht club that I will use for storage is 1/2 mile away, but has 2 feet of water at low tide due to stupid humans. They used to launch schooners from this area in the last century but human intervention changed the water flow patterns. It fills in so quickly they can hardly keep it navigable.

Still, I can't complain about a short drive to a beautiful harbor.

I share your dream.

I'll post some pictures of both. A couple of slices of heaven.

Enjoy the season!

Skywalker