Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Drive Train / Propellers
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

#1   IP: 69.251.178.2
Old 08-12-2012, 11:43 AM

How do I fix a stuck valve?

Summary: Is there any short cut to freeing a stuck valve short of taking off the head, manifold and all?

Finding the number 1 piston with no compression I was afraid of a blown head gasket or worse. My friend suggested removing the plate covering the valves (behind the carberator which must be removed first) to see if all the valves moved up and down when the engine turns over. I did so and sure enough the most forward value in the engine is stuck open. I tried putting a screw driver between the spring a little bit to pry it loose but then I thought

"STOP! DO YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE DOING?!"

My answer to myself was "No". So I have been soaking it with penetrating lube and gunk flush but nothing is happening.

I'll say what I will always say when I write to my favorite forum of all time:

Please help before I do some real damage. I don't want to start taking this engine apart if I dont have to. Didn't know where to post this so I posted a few places. Thanks

Last edited by afsam94; 08-12-2012 at 02:47 PM.
  #2   IP: 216.123.55.164
Old 08-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Continue and tap the valve stem inside the spring. From the spark plug hole, slide in small screen driver to rest on top of the valve, and nudge it down. Spray it from the top. The valve spring is helping you. Bobs your oncle.
  #3   IP: 75.246.101.221
Old 08-12-2012, 03:52 PM

Hi, The short answer is no. Prying and taping on a valve at an angle is a good way to bend the valve where it will never seat. I had the exact same problem on an engine of mine and after gently screwing with that valve for over six weeks I pulled the head where I could get to the valve straight on and in about 30 minutes freed the valve and got it working. Valves are very easy to damage by banging and forcing to move when working at an angle. Pulling the head on a flathead type engine is simply nut and bolt work with really no adjusting of any thing but the alternator belt. I removed my head without removing any of the studs. I simply squirted MMO into the head stud holes to free up any rust and crud holding the head and gently pried the head up. Replace the head using two new head gaskets, available at NAPA. With the head off it's pretty nice to see what the rest of the vales and piston bores look like. You can also see the condition of the cooling passages.
As an added bonus , your friends and family will be impressed with your mechanical skills of disassembly and repair of your engine and you could become a legend in your on time!!
  #4   IP: 70.49.70.136
Old 08-12-2012, 04:53 PM

Six weeks! Recently to stop an intermitant sticky valve I went aggressive in spraying it from the spark plug hole. Cab cleaner right under the valve. Followed by spraying MMO to relubricate the valve stem. Hasn't stuck yet.