Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 172.58.236.132
Old 07-04-2020, 11:24 PM

I only hear this starter turning. ****\/%=÷×+HELP! HELP! HELP!+×÷=%/\****

I just bought a boat and of course the prior owner in the sales pitch says engine present and running. So i buy the boat. $1,300. Money is God to all! You cant live without it in anyway!
When i showed up to the boat the carburetor was off with stripped bolt holes. Because i want to keep the Universal Atomic 4 and as close to original condition I tapped out the carburetor and board the exhaust manifold.
I put the carburetor back on and went through the wiring system which I believe is currently wired correctly. (I can't find an adequate Universal Atomic 4 engine wire diagram there's many diagrams a lot of them are diesel and aftermarket diagrams with things people added on to them.) [none of the pictures match my engine.] {Moyer marinas engine wiring diagrams don't match my engine.} < my engine does not have a fuel gauge, does not have a fuel gauge light, does not have a starter light, my gauges take 3 to four wires, my engine is in a sailboat>
Nonetheless it's a universal Atomic 4!
So I go through it on prior knowledge of engines pretty much all engines are the same a water cooling engine just has a different hole and an extra hole throughout the engine block that water runs through to cool it as how antifreeze or oil would run through a normal engine.
So.... I have the wiring done according to theory, belief and understanding;: alternator to the starter, starter to the alternator, alternator to the distributor, distributor to the engine coil, the engine coil to the fuel pump, the fuel pump to the gauges so ons and whatnot, zenyatta's, whopdos.
So... I throw the switch I'm expecting it to be a nuclear bomb and blow up at the very least Sparks to fly nothing happens. The starter kicks on but there's no cranking. The starter turns over continually and even wheezes and catches itself and turns over again. I know for a fact the starter is good! At least I bought a good starter!!
Does anyone have any insight on the atomic 4 engine as far as why it would not crank over not necessarily start the starter engags and not having a cranking?
After I hot wire and jump the starter 2 force an engagement on the crankshaft my next step is just to buy head gaskets sat at $92 and take the whole engine apart and look at the valves and the crank case.
I hope that is not the case and I'm Marina Engine ignorant so someone could shed some light on the topic in in like me on wire diagram or a good explanation on the starting sequence.

Last edited by Naileyou; 07-05-2020 at 12:10 AM.
  #2   IP: 47.142.132.120
Old 07-05-2020, 12:47 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Here's a wiring diagram - if I can get it to attach.
R\E the starter: Is the battery fully charged and are all connections clean and bright on both the hot and ground side?

ex TRUE GRIT
Attached Images
File Type: pdf A4 WIRING-2-2.pdf (421.7 KB, 489 views)
  #3   IP: 38.27.109.137
Old 07-05-2020, 08:09 AM
MMI Webmaster

You know not to crank the engine incessantly with the thru-hull open, right? And don't leave the ignition switch on when the engine is still?

Bill
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Administrator For This Useful Post:
Dave Neptune (07-05-2020), Sam (07-06-2020)
  #4   IP: 24.53.89.131
Old 07-05-2020, 07:43 PM
Afourian MVP

Naileyou,

Have you checked that the bendix on the starter is not seized?

If it is seized, the starter will whir but the engine will not crank.

Peter

PS - you may find this video useful - https://youtu.be/n-RzcsdFoRQ
  #5   IP: 24.15.42.198
Old 07-06-2020, 04:04 PM
Afourian MVP

If he sound is a "whirl" the bendix gear drive is stuck in the rear position. If the sound is a high pitch "grind" it is only slightly partially engaging the flywheel teeth. Either way the starter age is showing and should be opened up and cleaned/greased and or rebuilt/replaced. You can try a good rap with a hammer mid starter section and it might immediately free it to turn the engine over once. This is my experience with "early" A4. the starter/selenoid is different on "later" A4's.
  #6   IP: 24.15.42.198
Old 07-06-2020, 04:14 PM
Afourian MVP

I just saw the video after posting and apologize for duplication. However, I would try a little more hammer. if memory serves the bendix drive is couple inches long and can get stuck. I put a couple of large plastic nylon washers at the end of the gear and body so it did not "lock" in place when driven back. Tried metal ones first and still occasionally locked up. Been about 10 seasons and still working.
  #7   IP: 207.32.169.48
Old 07-11-2020, 03:24 PM
Afourian MVP

Naileyou,
Please keep us informed of your progress. Did the hammer trick work?