Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Reversing Gear

#1   IP: 73.234.59.26
Old 07-03-2020, 07:45 AM

Reverse Bar - Did I install it correctly?

Morning all,
SO I am putting together my newly rebuilt A4 and am in the final stages. I am on the tranny which I believe I have put it all together correctly now after a few mishaps but thanks to the resources out there and here, I believe I have it correctly.

However, there is a concern on one part.

There is this one bar that Don calls in the reverse gear youtube video (at 9:23) a reverse bar. There are two main pieces on the picture...One on the right and one on the left that based on my assumption, works to keep the bar on right in place.

Well, when putting it together, I noticed the one on left which looks around the main gear bar below has a slot for a keyway. On my extra engine, it did not appear that this bar was actually lined up on that keyway. So on mine, I did not do it this way...However, I am a little concerned that maybe it should have been...

My main understanding is that the main thing that does all the work is the bar on the right and not the one on the left...

Can any of you please confirm if the bar/lever on left should have the slot into aligned into the keyway below on the shift bar before I proceed?
Attached Images

Last edited by southcoasting; 07-03-2020 at 07:54 AM.
  #2   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 07-03-2020, 11:41 AM
Afourian MVP

The bar on the right is the reverse cam, Paragon OXKA-26. The other one (with the keyway) is the brace, OXKA-288.
The reverse cam moves fore/aft to tighten the brake band, which keeps the reversing cluster from rotating and causes the planetary gear set to become effective. The function of the brace is to keep the brake band in place axially. The end of the brace with the keyway goes around the cross shaft. The other end engages a pin in the brake band.
If that keyway engages a key in the cross shaft, it will keep the cross shaft from rotating and you won't be able to shift! Not sure why that keyway is there - perhaps something to ease the assembly of the cross shaft? Functionally, it does nothing. The important thing is that the cross shaft go through the hole with the keyway!
I notice that your pin in the brake band has a cotter key in it. This is not standard. Is that your add? I had one gear where the pins was wiggling, so I replaced it with a bolt/nut/lockwasher. I did have to relieve the head of the bolt to clear the reverse cam.
  #3   IP: 73.234.59.26
Old 07-04-2020, 05:11 AM

Thank so much Al!

Yeah, the keyway being there really confused me but I did not think about your possible answer as to why it's there...All I know is that I did try put it int he keyway while the upper housing was off and I was placing everything in, it did not seem right...

I have gone ahead and proceed and now trying to push in the last coupling...Had to buy some long screws last night so that I can make my own press with wood.

As for the first pic where you notice a pin, that is a screenshot from the Moyer youtube video. Mine does not have that.

Tags
keyway, lever, reverse gear