• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Moltensurf
    Frequent Contributor
    • Sep 2016

islander 36 2:1 gear reduction;prop size

hi everyone, my name is jonathan, I am the owner of a 1977 i36. I have a small problem, I let my zinc on the prop shaft go bad; now I am needing to buy a new prop. there is not a lot of info online about the subject. I have an atomic 4 gas engine with a 2:1 reduction gear.
    I talked to the guys at indigo and they suggest a 12" prop with 12 degree pitch. that is on a three blade prop. I found a 2 blade prop online 12/10 but I was told this is not a good match for my boat, and and that I need something more like a 15", but i'm not sure there is enough clearance between my hull and the prop. is there anyone out there with some info that could be of help?
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

If my memory hasn't failed me, the standard I-36 prop was a 16x10x[shaft dia] RH 2 blade. Standard boat was powered with the Atomic 4 with 2:1 reduction gear.
    Last edited by ndutton; 09-19-2016, 09:13 PM.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Marian Claire
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2007

Having gone thru the re-propping process on a non standard boat here are some links you may find of use.

Be aware of the disclaimer in my first post on this thread about faulty tach numbers.

Short version is that a 14 X 9 three blade proved to be a good match for my boat. 12000 # displacement, 25' water line, 2 to 1 reduction gear with proper clearances in the aperture.
      Welcome to the forum.
      Dan S/V Marian Claire

Edit: You may also need to address the issue that caused the zinc and prop to be degraded.
      Last edited by Marian Claire; 09-20-2016, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• Moltensurf
        Frequent Contributor
        • Sep 2016

I have two quotes From different prop companies. One suggests 14/10 another 13/10. I have 8.375" clearance to bottom of hull from center of prop shaft.

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

My Tartan 30 has a 12" prop, and it only clears the hull by about 1/2". This hasn't been a problem. I wouldn't let tip clearance drive your choice of propeller.

Comment

• Moltensurf
            Frequent Contributor
            • Sep 2016

I found a 13/10 prop at a good price. I have room for the 14/10
            Will one inch of prop make a huge difference?

Comment

• Moltensurf
              Frequent Contributor
              • Sep 2016

Well I guess I answered my own question
              Changing prop size one inch or pitch by one degree changes rpm by 200

Comment

• Moltensurf
                Frequent Contributor
                • Sep 2016

Finally found an affordable used prop. 14x10 got it a Minnie's for 145.00
                Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                X