Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Maintenance

#26   IP: 100.36.65.17
Old 08-19-2020, 10:30 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernst View Post
I am a bit at a loss what is happening. What can go wrong with brass threads, tightened with appropriate force and with enough pipe dope? This is not exactly a high pressure system. But leak it does! Anybody hear of such a thing?
I've never had much luck with pipe dope. 3-4 turns of teflon tape should do the trick unless the fitting is cracked. I had one that leaked that way. A PO had let the drinhking water system freeze, and I had a persistent drip at one of the elbows that would not seal. Examining it under a magnifier showed that it had a crack across the threads.

#27   IP: 69.143.44.113
Old 08-19-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardc View Post
I've never had much luck with pipe dope. 3-4 turns of teflon tape should do the trick unless the fitting is cracked. I had one that leaked that way. A PO had let the drinhking water system freeze, and I had a persistent drip at one of the elbows that would not seal. Examining it under a magnifier showed that it had a crack across the threads.
I see, so these fittings do fail. It certainly never froze (there was only coolant in there) but perhaps something else happened. After all, this is the standard Made in China item from Home Depot.

I just bought a replacement for the T and elbow (another Made in China product from Home Depot ) and will swap them out next time at the boat.

I will report back, and thanks already!
  #28   IP: 71.38.112.42
Old 08-19-2020, 08:02 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
...I just bought a replacement for the T and elbow (another Made in China product from Home Depot ) and will swap them out next time at the boat.
No offense intended here...
The brass fittings from Home Depot could very well be your issue.

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #29   IP: 69.143.44.113
Old 08-20-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadnsky View Post
No offense intended here...
The brass fittings from Home Depot could very well be your issue.
I see what you're sayin...

Will give it a try. I will very closely look at the fittings that are on the motor and for that I have to take them out. I figured that I might as well have a replacement set available once I have all that out. Maybe that is the problem but I hope that at least the new one is OK. I suppose one could be bad but what are the chances two are??
  #30   IP: 73.173.49.190
Old 08-21-2020, 12:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

How about just oil...

Thank you for the post and very knowledgeable educational for me discussion

I have the same problem with my engine, but I noticed (what I am sure all of you noticed too) that parts covered by oil don't rust. The engine has two sides, like Moon, oily, no rust, waterry, lot of rust

So how about removing as much rust as possible and then paint the engine with oil? Again rust protection not looks.

In fact I would say that my "training" engine looks better than the one (working now after applying Aforians or( rather Afurrians, since you have to have a lot of furry to tackle those lovely and loveable pieces of old junk) wisdom and assistance . Thank you for that. Link to youtube here. https://youtu.be/S3Hbva1fbcI

As always thank you for your help. Be well
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbyBobby For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-28-2020)
  #31   IP: 73.173.49.190
Old 08-21-2020, 12:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Missing Image of Old Ruster (pun intended)

sorry here are photos of my working engines' rusty side.
On one photo you san see screwdriver blade inserted in between engine and layer of rust. Scary.
Attached Images

#32   IP: 69.143.44.113
Old 09-06-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I see what you're sayin...

Will give it a try. I will very closely look at the fittings that are on the motor and for that I have to take them out. I figured that I might as well have a replacement set available once I have all that out. Maybe that is the problem but I hope that at least the new one is OK. I suppose one could be bad but what are the chances two are??
OK, I think I can say that the problem is solved. I replaced the elbow. I had also bought the Tee but it was not easy to remove the two sensors on it so I thought I should take things one at a time. This was already two weeks ago. I could not see anything wrong with the old one but I left the new one in, no reason to take a chance when the part costs $5.-. I have to say that I probably tightened the new elbow a bit more than the old one but I don't know if that made the difference?

The first impression was good but I did not want to declare victory without actually using the motor.

The last two days provided this opportunity. I went sailing yesterday and today (anchoring over night) and used the motor as usual. Overall, maybe a good hour and a half of motoring in realistic conditions.

I am happy to report that not a drop of coolant was visible and, more importantly, the level of coolant in the reservoir was identical after the trip to what it was before.

So, it seems that FINALLY this nightmare is over and I have a reliable A-4 again!

Thanks to everybody here on the site, and in particular SASTANLEY who pointed out the minuscule drip on the photo of my paint job. I would have NEVER suspected this innocuous-looking elbow!

Last edited by ernst; 09-07-2020 at 11:14 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ernst For This Useful Post:
edwardc (09-08-2020), sastanley (09-07-2020), TimBSmith (09-28-2020)
  #33   IP: 69.250.111.245
Old 09-07-2020, 10:37 PM
Afourian MVP

great report...sometimes the devil is in the details. Pics always help and why we ask for them..someone may notice a detail that someone else does not!
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
The Following User Says Thank You to sastanley For This Useful Post:
ernst (09-08-2020)
  #34   IP: 67.169.215.221
Old 09-08-2020, 12:51 AM
Afourian MVP

Yes, a great result.

Now a curiosity... what is the turnbuckle on the exhaust manifold side of the engine attached to?

Just an idle curious mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to ronstory For This Useful Post:
sastanley (09-08-2020)
  #35   IP: 69.143.44.113
Old 09-08-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
Yes, a great result.

Now a curiosity... what is the turnbuckle on the exhaust manifold side of the engine attached to?

Just an idle curious mind.
Ah, good question. This is the end of a strut to support the hot part of the (upwards-pointing) exhaust elbow. That was suggested in one of the exhaust threads here on this forum since an unsupported inverted-U might vibrate too much and break.

It has been installed for many years and at some point I expect that the (black iron) pipes will corrode through again and will need to be replaced, but at least I never had any breakage.