Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Electrical

#1   IP: 69.230.90.197
Old 06-28-2006, 11:35 PM

Question Which Spark Plugs?

Don!

You're the best! But aside from that, you are the only one I would trust to give me the most experienced answer:

I know you advocate Champion plugs. I have the NGK B63 plugs in my late model. This is the used engine from a friend you have been advising me on the past month.

Are these plugs okay? I have seen no mention of these as an alternative in your Guest log, and I've read all 121 pages of that (I think that log should be your next book).

When I got the engine, the plugs were evenly clean and tan, kinda' new, but lots of deposits in the combustion chambers.

I've since corrected the timing to my best cruising speed (under load), and just noticed they are getting a little darker after 5 hours running.

Let me know please what you think of this plug, and if I can improve the performance of the engine by any change.

ONE MORE POINT: I'm thinking about getting your adjustable main jet device. I'm thinking that I might not only improve my fuel economy, but also reduce blowby (I have a little bit still... compression is 78, 83, 86, 90).

In case it matters, I use to engine to get out of the harbor (Newport Beach, CA), and other than that a 30-mile run to Catalina Island (one way is always on the nose in my Islander 28).

Thank you in advance. Everything I know about the Atomic bomb, I learned from you.
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 07-10-2006, 08:21 AM

Randall,

I have never used NGK B63 plugs, but I'm quire sure they would be OK. From your report, they may have a slightly higher heat range which would explain the fact that they seem to be running a bit cleaner than the Champions. Installing an adjustable main jet so that you can fine tune the fuel mixture would also clean up the plugs a bit in the event that the engine is currently running a bit rich.

Don