X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78ranger
    • Apr 2007

Bilge water

Has anyone out there had issues with water building up in the bilge? Ranger's bilge is really no more than the inside of the keel. I am collecting a little more water than usual in the bilge and it is not coming from the prop shaft. Through holes are tight. Any ideas or experience with this?
  • msmith10
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2006

bilge water

If it's not coming thru your stuffing box, or coming in thru rain (leaking around mast, chainplates, etc.), check your keel bolts. I'm not familiar with Ranger construction, but it's common to get some seepage thru the keel bolts if they're loose or need rebedded. If this is the case (dry the bilge out well and watch) you can try retorquing the keel bolts but you may have to remove the keel bolt nuts, rebed, then retorque.
    Mark Smith
    1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• marthur
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2004

On our Catalina 27 we have been tracking down obscure leaks since purchasing the boat four years ago. Even when the cabin was dry, we were still gaining water in the bilge.

Here are a couple we found:
      1. The water pump had bad seals and water dripped out of the weep holes.
      2. The exhaust through-hull was above the water, but it leaked when water lapped up against it or when the boat "squatted down" under power.
      3. The fuel filler hose and the fuel vent hose leaked where they passed through the deck into the engine compartment.
      4.The hull deck joint on some boats leaks (our fortunately didn't).
      5. The mast step leaked. Water dripped down the lightening cable into the bilge.
      6. We have had numerous hardware leaks (stantions, handrails, etc...).
      7. The anchor rode dripped under the V-berth which, you guessed it, eventually ran to the bilge.
      8. Two snaps riveted to the cockpit to take a cockpit storage bag leaked.

This year, as every year for the last 3 years I believe we will have a dry bilge. This fall, I will undoubtedly be looking for the next leak : )

Good Luck
      Mike

Comment

Working...
      X