• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HalcyonS
    • Dec 2012

Hose Specifications

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
    The rating system exclusively for marine hose is known as SAE J1527 and it provides for grades as follows:

A1--fuel feed hose; has a fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Least permeable with highest fire resistance.

A2--fuel vent hose; has a fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times.

B1--fuel feed hose; without fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times; intended for non-enclosed spaces. Diesel engines or above deck outboard gasoline applications.

B2--fuel vent hose; without fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Diesel vent lines.

Merry Christmas
    Joe
    thankyou. I was interested in the specs of ethanol resistant hose.
    "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Here you go:
    SAE standards promote and facilitate safety, productivity, reliability, efficiency, and certification in mobility industries.

The marine fuel hose is all ethanol resistant and has been for some years. I never really dug into exactly how they tested it, but SAE apparently has a lot of publications on that.
    I know the original NON ethanol rated hose my boat came with from 1973 definitely was in very bad shape when I replaced it
    Please note the FIRE RESISTANCE specification. Marine fuel hose is very thick and it would take some time to burn through it. I once thought it would be cool to use all Aeroquip fuel lines like airplanes and racing cars. While out at the airport scrounging for a fitting one day the A&P asked me if I fire-sleeved all my hoses. I had not, thought about the expense and time to do so, and went back to the marine fuel hose. Also do not forget the fill and vent hoses

Originally posted by HalcyonS View Post
    Joe
    thankyou. I was interested in the specs of ethanol resistant hose.
    Last edited by joe_db; 12-27-2016, 11:04 AM.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• tac
      • Nov 2015

SAE Site

Thanks for the site. I've tried a few times over the years to get SAE info, especially standards, with no luck. All that I could find were Pay-To-Read, with the usual one line summary, and like many professional societies they are expensive. This one has a lot of good info, much of it free. Just browsing thru the batteries and sensors and engine control sections will keep me awake for months.

Comment

Working...
      X