Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Announcements

#26   IP: 107.77.97.26
Old 08-12-2020, 04:39 PM
Afourian MVP

I can't add much to the accolades from all the members posted.
I am grateful to you personally for helping me get the straight scoop on many data points.

What ever happens I'll follow the this crowd. But ONLY this crowd!

Russ

I'll send an email with my address and you can add it to your someday-visit list.

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
The Following User Says Thank You to lat 64 For This Useful Post:
Administrator (08-12-2020)
  #27   IP: 69.127.24.15
Old 08-12-2020, 10:48 PM

Please say it isnt so

Please say it isn't so .. I hope MMI decides to keep the site up and working ..

I check it every day and I know that I couldn't keep the old girl running without the site .

Bill good luck and thanks for all your years of hard work ..

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
― Kenneth Grahame
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goodoldboat For This Useful Post:
ernst (08-15-2020), Peter (08-13-2020)
  #28   IP: 47.142.134.119
Old 08-13-2020, 02:35 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Bill
Dang am I sorry to hear about you leaving the forum.

Before you leave could you make list of forum approved acronyms and their meaning and add it to the stickie list? You are probably the only one that can do this. Is there an acronym list somewhere in the forum that I haven't found?

Fair winds and smooth seas in the next chapter of your life. You will be missed by all.

ex TRUE GRIT
  #29   IP: 38.27.109.137
Old 08-13-2020, 03:19 AM
MMI Webmaster

Hi, John:

Here are the ones we've added to the forum software.

Bill

>>>>>>>>>>

AAMOF|As a matter of fact
ABYC|American Boat and Yacht Council\nVoluntary standards authority for our pastime. In some instances, the United States Coast Guard has adopted the American Boat and Yacht Council standard verbatim, Article P-1 Exhaust Systems is an example.
ACR|Automatic Charging Relay
AFAIK|As far as I know
AKA|Also known as
BSDS|Boat Show Derangement Syndrome
BTDT|Been there. Done that.
BTPC|Boat Theater PC
BTW|By the way
C-Advance|Centrifugal advance system found under the points plate in our distributors.
CFR|Code of Federal Regulations. A recent clerical re-organization that includes Coast Guard regulations and requirements.
CNG|compressed natural gas
DAMHIK|Don't ask me how I know.
DIY|Do it yourself
DOTO|Don't overlook the obvious.
EI|Electronic Ignition
EOM|End of message
EWDS|Engine Warning and Diagnostic System. A real-time engine monitoring system found in Moyer Marine's catalog under Kits/Accessories
FAQ|Frequently asked questions
FKA|Formerly known as
FWC|Fresh water cooling
FWIW|For what it's worth.
FYI|For your information.
HTH|Hope this helps.
HTPC| Home Theater PC
HX|Heat exchanger
ICYMI|In case you missed it
IIRC|If I recall correctly
IMHO|In my humble opinion
IMNSHO|In my not so humble opinion
IMO|In my opinion
IOW|In other words
JOSO|Just one sailor's opinion.
KISS|Keep it simple, stupid.
LOL|Laughing out loud
MMI|Moyer Marine, Inc.
MMO|Marvel Mystery Oil
NEC- National Electric Code
NPS|National Pipe Straight Thread
NPT|National Pipe Tapered Thread
OMG|Oh, my goodness
OPSS|Oil pressure safety switch. Required for electric fuel pumps, sometimes used for other systems.
OP|Original Poster
OTOH|On the other hand
OT|Off-topic
PCV|Positive Crankcase Ventilation System\nA system of managing excessive crankcase blowby. Some (not all) members report a side-effect of carburetor tuning difficulty.
PEDANTIC|A state of mind which is about caring a lot about formalities, often more than necessary.
PITA| pain in the buttocks
POV|Point of view
PO|Previous owner
PTO| Power Take Off
ROTFL|Rolling on the floor laughing
RTFM|Read the manual
RWC|Raw water cooling
Rule of 2011|The electronic ignition and coil balance solution developed on this forum in 2011.
SNR|Signal to Noise Ratio. The ratio of useful information to false or irrelevant data in a conversation.
SOC|State of Charge
TBA|To be announced
TBC|To be continued
TDC|Top Dead Center. The timing position where a piston is at the top of the compression stroke and confirmed by a vertical roll pin in the crankshaft flywheel end. Timing advance measurement adds a 'B' to the acronym for Before Top Dead Center (BTDC).
TNX|Thanks
Thatch Modification|Run the hose from the thermostat housing to the back of the manifold. This will eliminate all possible air pockets and voids in the manifold and result in improved manifold cooling because the water will flow up through the manifold not run down through it.
Thatch modification|Run the hose from the thermostat housing to the back of the manifold. This will eliminate all possible air pockets and voids in the manifold and result in improved manifold cooling because the water will flow up through the manifold not run down through it.
Thatch mod|Run the hose from the thermostat housing to the back of the manifold. This will eliminate all possible air pockets and voids in the manifold and result in improved manifold cooling because the water will flow up through the manifold not run down through it.
UHS|Ubiquitous hot spot. A spot on the flywheel end of the manifold hot enough to scorch off the paint.
USCG|United States Coast Guard
WFM|Works for me.
WJSP|Water jacket side plate
WOT|Wide open throttle
WRT|With regard to
WTH|What the heck.
YMMD|You made my day.
YMMV|Your mileage may vary.
pedantic|A state of mind which is about caring a lot about formalities, often more than necessary.
work around|Engineering around a problem rather than dealing with the source of the problem.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Administrator For This Useful Post:
Dave Neptune (08-13-2020), edwardc (08-13-2020), ernst (08-15-2020), HOTFLASH (08-13-2020), JOHN COOKSON (08-13-2020), Sam (08-13-2020), sastanley (08-13-2020), thatch (08-15-2020)
  #30   IP: 67.175.33.159
Old 08-13-2020, 11:25 PM

Thank you

Bill,

I greatly appreciate your shepherding this (our) forum. Without this experience of warm, knowledgeable and generous sharing of this A4 community, I certainly could not have tackled the rebuild of most of my 45 year old engine, as well as carb, fuel pump, exhaust system, wiring, engine gauges, alternator, and starter and more. Wishing you well! You have made a difference.

Thank you!

Mary
The Following User Says Thank You to HOTFLASH For This Useful Post:
sastanley (08-15-2020)
  #31   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 08-15-2020, 09:51 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Here is something else that is to your (Bill's) credit as a result of this forum:

The latest poster child is ANDO

Ando joined the forum 13 months ago with zero mechanical experience but a desire to learn. I don't think he even owned a wrench. Without repeating his marathon thread My A4 Adventures, yesterday afternoon he was headed over to a slip neighbor's 1974 Ranger 33 to troubleshoot a non-running A4. At last report he has determined there is a fuel delivery problem with a silent electric fuel pump, 12VDC confirmed and OPSS bypassed. Today he will install a borrowed spare fuel pump for testing.

Way cool . . . .
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
Peter (08-15-2020), Sam (08-16-2020)
  #32   IP: 138.207.178.214
Old 08-18-2020, 09:46 AM
Afourian MVP Emeritus

Because of this forum, I have a Tartan 30.

Ten years ago (wow!), I found a rather cosmetically ragged-out Tartan 30 that was home to a brand new MMI rebuilt A-4 and full set of new UK/Halsey Tape Drive sails. I knew my way around 2-stroke outboards and had a pretty fair understanding of 4-stroke mechanics, but the little bronze A-4 was a bit of a mystery. I came home after looking at the boat and starting researching Universal's marvelous little workhorse. In short order, my google-fu led me here.

My original intent was to rule out buying the T30 by learning the A-4 was unreliable and expensive to fix. Then with a clean conscience, I could move past the very inexpensive Tartan. What I found instead was a forum so beautifully arranged and moderated that I couldn't "X" the Tartan off the list. I dived deeper into the forum lurking and learning and reading 100's of posts on everything from OPSS to the UHS. I found the Rosetta Stone, Enigma Machine, and magic decoder ring of all things A-4. While I was soaking up years and years of knowledge, I discovered that forum not only had a ginormous brain, but an even bigger heart. The humor, the camaraderie, the encouragement, the occasional deserved jab and often self-deprecating stories made this forum a sanctuary of people just being cool. I knew with this forum, I could handle any A-4 issue that might arise. I bought the boat and I was repaid time and again by this forum.

I participate on many forums, but nothing else exists like this one.

Thank you for all your years of dedicated guidance, Bill.

You've created something quite magical.
Repowered with MMI A-4 2008
  #33   IP: 47.54.60.150
Old 08-18-2020, 01:44 PM
Afourian MVP

Thank You Bill.

Bill, thank you so much for everything you have done for us all. Know you were so appreciated and your presence will be missed.

Mo.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #34   IP: 68.14.198.4
Old 08-18-2020, 02:05 PM

Sad to see you go

Bill, I know you don't know who I am, probably like most of us that use this forum whenever our ole Atomic 4's won't fire, but please know how much the time and effort you have contributed to this forum has meant to me. This forum is unique in its ability to laugh at itself, and still be civil and sooo informative. It speaks to the people who share this platform, but mostly it highlights the attitude and personality of the person who edits and organizes and breathes life into it everyday.
Thank you for a job well done. We will miss you.
  #35   IP: 38.27.109.137
Old 08-18-2020, 05:04 PM
MMI Webmaster

Bumped for Brenda's benefit.

Bill

Last edited by Administrator; 08-18-2020 at 05:12 PM.