X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoMD Terp
    • Apr 2016

Engine Starting Issue

I was motoring and as I came into the dock my engine just cut out. When I got ready to leave about a half hour later it had trouble starting. I noticed 1 battery bad effectively dead, but I was able to get it to start after a few tries. Now, I can’t get it to start at all. I replaced the bad battery and it sounds a little better. Appears to be getting fuel and adding start fluid makes no difference (usually fires up quick if that is needed). Spark plugs look ok, but I will try to get new ones just in case.

I am worried it has something to do with the ignition, since when the engine just shut off the key was left in the same position. Did I burn something out because of that?

Could someone give me a real basic walkthrough on how to troubleshoot the ignition to make sure plugs are getting energized? It tries to turn over, so that’s my best guess
  • jcwright
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2012

Hello SoMD.

A good overview of how to check your ignition system is provided in this newsletter from MMI:

Re your question about leaving the key in the on position: yes, it is possible that this damaged the coil.

There are several ways to test whether each plug is energized. I've always used a simple spark tester, which you can get at most auto parts stores.

Jack.

Comment

• SoMD Terp
      • Apr 2016

Jack, thanks. I watched the coil video yesterday as well and will see what I can replicate. Finding a second set of hands is tricky right now, so I’ll do my best myself.

Is the easiest way to try and get a spark from the coil, and the plugs, without turning the ignition using the jumper described in the coil video? I have to see if I have any wiring I could use for that.

Comment

• SoMD Terp
        • Apr 2016

Problem solved. Looks like new spark plugs did the trick after I confirmed they were getting a spark.

Comment

Working...
        X