Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System

#1   IP: 65.40.5.16
Old 07-30-2006, 10:26 PM

Red face Good News/Bad News!!

It's been a while since my last post. I have had issues with the cooling system on and off since I purchased my boat a year ago April w/ a newer A4. After reading a lot of posts and the Moyer manual, I have pretty much been able to keep ahead of things (thanks Don!).

Good News: When I purchased the boat about 3 knots was all she would do. Cleaned hull and it went a little faster. Traded out prop for an Indigo prop and that helped a lot. Today I changed out plugs (not the first time) but did change the rotor and distributor cap (have the Ignitor electronic ignition intalled) and added a little mystery oil to the cylinders while the plugs were out...She flew today and I got the engine up to 2400 rpm underway (when first purchased could not get over 1600 rpm).

Bad News: The motor overheated within a minute or so after this burst of performance and speed. Thermostat shot up to around 240 degrees...slowed rpm to around 1000 and limped back to the dock. It was a bit spooky there for a minute as I thought the motor might acutally catch on fire! (I had problems in the old days with the engine running too cool! How ironic...)

Exhaust discharge appears normal...pinched off the by-pass cooling hose and no noticeable difference. Going to pull the thermostat and take a look to see if I sucked in some debris. Didn't see anything in the manual about checking the impeller...could a damaged or blocked impeller cause this same symptom? Also, could over-revving the engine be the culprit? (I would think that is not the problem as the engine is rated for 3500 rpm...)

Wish me luck...it was 94-96 degrees on the boat with heat index over 100 degrees today with same forecast for tomorrow! (South Florida...so what else is new?)
  #2   IP: 206.135.187.34
Old 07-31-2006, 05:45 PM

Mike,

Your RPM should have had nothing to do with your overheating.

Don
  #3   IP: 65.40.5.227
Old 08-06-2006, 06:32 AM

Performed acid flush/High Pressure flushed block and manifold/Cleaned thermostat. Put it all back together and the overheating remains. Clamped off by-pass hose and the temp gauge fell to 100 degrees. I am ordering a new thermostat today. At least the cooling system is nice and clean...