Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Ignition System

#1   IP: 71.121.206.115
Old 07-03-2009, 02:53 AM

Engine Died Again

So a few weeks back i posted a link to why my engine was dying after running for an hour or so and the RPM would be unsteady. Well i though i had the problem figured out when i realized that my fuel tank vent was clogged up. I replaced that and today it seemed to work just fine. RPM were steady, under load the engine purred.

This time after 2 hours of running the engine shut down. I tried to restart but the engine would turn but there was no sign of spark. I removed the spark plugs and they were clean. tried the coil from to see if there was spark and there seemed to be spark. I have not opened the distributor cap since i have owned the baot 2 year. It has electric egnition so i assumed it is not neccessary as there is no wear/tear of the rotor or any other moving parts. Can anyone please help me diagnose this problem. Thank you
  #2   IP: 38.102.24.128
Old 07-03-2009, 06:50 AM

Assuming that you are seeing a secondary discharge from the coil lead when you hold it close to the head or block, you are correct to conclude that the electronic ignition is working OK. You also make a good point when you say that the secondary distribution function of the distributor is relatively failsafe (further evidenced by your clean spark plugs).

All of this evidence points to a conclusion that the engine is probably not starting due to lack of fuel (not lack of spark). I suggest you remove the flame arrestor housing so you can check for the presence of fuel puddling in the floor of the intake throat. If the intake throat is bone dry after 15 seconds (or so) of cranking with the choke closed, the reason your engine will not start is due to fuel starvation.

Don
  #3   IP: 71.112.75.131
Old 07-04-2009, 01:34 AM

Engine Died

Don.

Thank you for your help with this issue. I checked the fuel lines. Removed the line coming into the carb and turned the key on. The fuel pump filled a cup very quick.

The problem when i was trying to start was that the engine would turn, but there would be no sign of engine trying to fire. How come that 10 minutes later the engine started again? This is very trouble some and agravating as I cannot enjoy the boat at all.
  #4   IP: 24.103.204.75
Old 07-04-2009, 01:56 AM
Afourian MVP

There is still wear and tear on the rotor and cap with electronic ignition--just no points or condenser. I'd replace both rotor and cap, if I were you, as a matter of course, but your symptoms also could be explained by a failing coil that can't produce enough voltage *once it warms up*.

It'll take less than 15 minutes to replace all three pieces.