• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baltimore Sailor
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Engine stalls if throttled down quickly

I'm already planning on a complete tune-up for the spring: new distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs -- I already have the electronic ignition. I have a brand-new carburetor as of last spring. So this question is more general interest than a pressing need, at the moment.

Basically, my engine behaves like this: starts right up and runs smoothly. However, if I throttle down quickly the engine will go right down to almost stalling, then "catch" again and come up to where the idle is set. Sometimes it does stall out, but starts right back up again. If I slowly throttle down it will settle into its idle quite nicely.

Is this the sort of behavior that changing the above parts will cure? Or is it indicative of something else, maybe the weights in the distributor (which looked fine the last time I looked at them in the summer)?

I'm also not quite sure about the idle mixture setting, as the screw is difficult to get to, but I have at least tried to set it as best as I can. Could it be that I need the adjustable main jet add-on for the carb, or should the brand-new carb be OK as it is?

I'm interested in seeing everyone's opinion, and thanks!
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Idle screw

Sounds like the idle is a little to lean, try backing the idle screw out (counter clockwise) 1/4 turn and check again. Usuallyif the engine dies when rapidly returning to idle indicates a lean mixture, if it is to rich it will chug stumble then die and your plugs should be a little black or sooty. If the plugs are sooty try turning the Idle screw in a 1/4 turn although this sounds unlikely in your case discription.
    It's probably not the centrifugal advance sticking although it could be sticking just not causing this type of problem.

Dave

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

Not being facetious, but what's the difference between "dies" and "chug stumble and dies"?

My plugs are usually always a bit sooty, but they're the colder plugs -- I haven't found the good hot ones yet (can't remember what they are exactly). That's another thing I'll be taking care of in the spring, getting those hot plugs.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Stalls

If the engine dies from returning the throttle to the stop in a lean mode it will usually feel like the engine was "shut off", if it dies from being rich it will usually get your attention somehow befor it actually dies---sputter stumble done. If yoiur plugs are sooty you are to rich, try leaning it until you start to loose rpm then 1/8 - 1/4 turn out and see what happens. be sure the engine is warmed up good before adjusting the idle, a cold engine wants more fuel than a warm one, thus the choke.

Do you mean the J-8 as the colder plugs or the J-12's?

Hope this helps

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

I see. Mine stalls as if it were shut down more than with any kind of drama, but my plugs are a bit sooty as well. Hard to figure which scenario I've got with those symptoms, but I'd say the plugs are more revealing -- I'm probably running a bit rich.

Ah well -- I'll be replacing all that stuff in a month or so anyway, so I'll figure it out then.

I've already got the tune-up parts I mentioned earlier plus the crankcase recirculation PCV valve and the upgraded idle mixture screw on my list. Lots to do once the weather starts to warm up.

Can't wait to get to it all.

Almost forgot about the plugs: I think I've got the champions, but I forget what the number is.

Comment

• roadnsky
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

AUTOLITE 437's

I'm pretty sure that the hotter/cleaner burning spark plugs are the AUTOLITE 437's. I haven't tried them yet, but saw that claim in an earlier thread...
            -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
            sigpic
            1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• CalebD
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

Sooty plugs

Apparently sooty plugs can be the result of an obstruction in the exhaust system.
              See the thread linked here and scroll down to the picture of the collapsed exhaust hose: http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1350
              Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
              A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• roadnsky
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by CalebD View Post
                Apparently sooty plugs can be the result of an obstruction in the exhaust system.
                I had this issue just last week. I had suspected it for a while, especially after reading various threads on this site.

It turned out to be the rubber wet exhaust hose from the hot section to the water lift muffler. It had collapsed internally right at the point where the water was intro'd to the hot exhaust just as Don had described in a few posts regarding exhaust problems. (I suggest reading those past posts)
                Anyway I decided to bite the bullet and also replace the hot section too. I'm glad I did. Found crud and rust in there also. She runs great now.

I'm posting this because it bears considering as a possible cause of Baltimore Sailor's problem in his original posting. I did have this symptom before replacing the exhaust, although mine was the "chug stumble and dies" variety...
                -jerry
                Last edited by roadnsky; 05-06-2012, 12:37 PM.
                -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                sigpic
                1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2007

Thanks for reminding me!

Replacing that rubber exhaust hose was also on my list of things to do, but I'd forgotten it. (It's a mental list.)

Is that stuff just standard auto radiator hose? What's the dimension?

Comment

• CalebD
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

Roadnsky,
                    I read the entire thread but think the photo of the collapsed hose is worth 1000 words. I get sooty plugs and the 'chug, stumble, die' syndrome if my plugs get fouled. Changing the plugs seems to take care of it but the real culprit is probably in my exhaust system.
                    Guess I'll be measuring those hoses myself come spring.
                    Balti,
                    I'm not sure that there is any guarantee that your exhaust setup/hose dia. will match that of others. Probably best to measure the fittings upon removal of old hose.

I'm not really looking forward to this one.
                    Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
                    A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• roadnsky
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Baltimore Sailor View Post
                      Is that stuff just standard auto radiator hose? What's the dimension?
                      Definitely not auto radiator hose...

It will depend on your HOT EXHAUST SECTION and your WATER LIFT MUFFLER.
                      I used the MMI Inline cooling water exhaust entry fitting (MM Part #EXHT_01.1_324) at the end of my hot section and both that and my water lift muffler take a 15/8" Wet Exhaust Hose that I bought at West Marine.

Here's a pic of my old hose. I'll take a better one of my new hose and post tomorrow...
                      -jb
                      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                      sigpic
                      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• roadnsky
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2008

Exhaust System Sketch

Here is a sketch of the Exhaust System that Don posted some time ago...
                        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                        sigpic
                        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• tenders
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2007

Search defender.com for "exhaust hose." You'll see lots of it, much cheaper than West Marine.

I replaced mine last year -- I used the "with flex wire" type and I think it was $10-$11 a foot so it was probably 2" or 2.25" inner diameter. An easier job than I expected. The inside turned out to be OK but the outside had taken a beating.

Comment

Working...
                          X