Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 70.161.161.16
Old 05-29-2007, 10:58 AM

Diagnosing water in cylinders

I have a major problem with water in the cylinders. I suspect it began when I overheated the engine last year by leaving the raw water intake valve closed, then compounded the problem by panicking and opening the water intake without letting the engine cool down first! Since then, the engine is hard to start due to water getting into the cylinders (most in #4, less in #3, little in #2 and none in #1). I checked this by cranking with spark plugs removed and water came shooting out of the cylinders like Old Faithful! A considerable amount of water continued to shoot out for as long as I cranked the engine, more than 60 seconds total in several shorter bursts, which indicates to me that it's not just a matter of a little water backing up from the exhaust. Despite the difficult starting, the engine runs quite normally after getting it started, even idling smoothly. The oil is also milky so I know water is getting into it as well.

So far, I have removed the head and manifold, suspecting that they might be cracked or warped and that the head gasket was blown, since there was no compression in 3 & 4. The head gasket did appear to be blown but I could not see any apparent cracks and the head appeared to be visually flat when checked with a metal straightedge. I plugged one outlet of the manifold and pressurized the water jacket by attaching a water hose to the other end. No apparent leaks but perhaps not enough pressure and certainly no exhaust heat. Also checked the top of the block and the cylinder walls visually. No cracks were apparent. I installed new head gaskets and torqued the head to 30 lbs.

Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem. I am now quite frustrated and not sure what the best approach to finding the problem is. I think that it must be either a cracked block, head or manifold and would prefer to try to test the easiest possibilities first. Any opinions as to what is the most probable cause of the problem? Is it possible to have the head and manifold tested in some conclusive way before removing the engine and having the block tested? Any other potential sources of water getting into the cylinders? I have been careful to avoid cranking the engine with the raw water valve open so I don't think that is the problem. I also recently rebuilt the exhaust riser and water injection fitting, waterlift muffler, etc.

I am almost ready to hang an outboard on the transom but thought I'd get some expert advice for the A4 first!
  #2   IP: 70.161.161.16
Old 05-30-2007, 12:50 PM

Found the problem!

After reading more in this forum, I decided to use Don's pressure testing methods to test the water jacket and manifold. I found that the manifold would not hold any air pressure and removed it to inspect. I discovered a pencil-sized hole in the aft end of the manifold water chamber! I'm surprised that I didn't find this at home prior to re-installing it this spring.

I also tested the block/head water jacket and found no drop in pressure at all so the manifold appears to be the problem.

Thanks for maintaining this forum Don. It's a lifesaver!

Raleigh