Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 70.134.250.164
Old 05-27-2007, 10:41 PM

water in the cylinders - engine won't start

Got a whole series of problems that end up with the engine not starting.

Spring commissioning: changed the points, plugs, condenser, impeller. Started it on the hard, ran fine. Launched, ran it around the marina for 1/2 hour or so, ran fine. One week later, had a lot of difficulty starting it - starter cranked and cranked and finally turned it over. Ran it 4 hours straight - temp at 170 (fresh water) and then down to 150 (salt water). Pressure steady between 35 and 40 psi. After 4 hours, turned the engine off, sailed for 2 hours, attempted to turn the engine on to motor into the mooring, wouldn't start.

Took the carburator home, opened it up and cleaned all the jets, replaced needle valve and seat nut. Installed the carb, cranked the engine over several times, flooded #4 cylinder (forgot to turn the raw water intake valve off). Took off carb, fuel pump, flushed fuel lines. Removed spark plugs, put MMO in cylinders, checked compression (good on all 4), turned flywheel to open intake valves and blew compressed air into all 4 cylinders as I moved flywheel around opened each cylinders' intake valve. Changed the oil.

I believe I got all standing water out of the cylinders. There may be moisture, not sure. Installed fuel system, Set cylinder #1 at TDC, adjusted the distributor until points were just opening, checked for spark at the coil and at the plugs - good spark. Attempted to start but failed.

Tried starting fluid, pulled the carb opened it up and cleaned it again. Drained all residual water from engine through the water pump, blew out the cylinders again, can't get it to start. Seems like I have compression, spark, and fuel but it just won't turn over.

I'm stumped and could sure use some fresh ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David
  #2   IP: 70.134.250.164
Old 05-29-2007, 09:06 PM

Update: replaced the coil and was able to get the engine to turn over with the constant help of the starter but it would not continue on its own. Timed it to TDC on #1, checked the gap on the points, and plugs, put in a new condensor. Next I guess I'll try new plugs and wires. That will give me an entire new ingition system.

I keep returning to ignition because when I spray ether in the intake throat of the carb it still won't start. It sounds just like a timing issue and if I hadn't checked the timing half a dozen times along with the firing order and wire connections, I'd say it was a timing issue.

Any ideas are appreciated.

dt
  #3   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 05-30-2007, 06:12 AM

David,

Assuming that you do have good compression (anything above 85psi), that you do have good ignition in the proper timing sequence, and that your choke is closing to cause the puddling of fuel in the bottom of your carburetor intake throat, my first guess is that your plugs might be fouled from the water episode. We have quite a few reports where folks have struggled to reach your point in a non-starting scenario and the engine would not start until the simple installation of new plugs.

Don
  #4   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 05-31-2007, 07:28 AM

Do you have a good secondary discharge when holding the end of the coil lead approximately 1/4" to 1/2" from the head? If so, I'd check the timing one more time.

Don
  #5   IP: 70.134.250.164
Old 06-01-2007, 06:45 AM

You were right Don. Fresh plugs did the trick. Thanks for your help.

dt
  #6   IP: 72.10.103.129
Old 06-06-2007, 10:18 AM

Well, I'm not out of the woods yet. I went back a week later and found water in the cylinders again. (when I say water, I mean dropletes splashing out the spark plug holes, not a column of water). I pulled the manifold to pressure test it and it appears to be intact. Followed DM's instructions for pressure testing the manifold and found no leaks.

I believe I have good compression based on the "thumb over the spark plug hole" test but I am going to put a compression gauge on it and get actual numbers. I'm also going to pressure test the water jacket in the block as per DM' instructions.

I'll post the results tomorrow.

David