Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Catalina

#1   IP: 71.253.119.152
Old 08-12-2011, 06:36 AM

Question Planning Engine Install for Catalina 30

Thanks to the various members for their input on engine overhaul, oil filter, and fresh water cooling (FWC).

I have removed everthing from the engine compartment on my 1978 Catalina 30, scrubbed everything well, and sanded all the surfaces down. I am glassing over the stringers and bilge area around and under the engine, and will add several layers of cloth to the engine compartments walls to reinforce. Then I'll cover all with a reinforced epoxy paint. I think that will have me ready to set the MMI exchange engine in.

All systems (fuel, exhaust, electrical, ventilation) will be completely reworked (all have been completely removed now).

Thinking ahead, I wonder where to locate things:

(1) I plan to have the Racor fuel filter. I was thinking this should be on the aft engine compartment wall next to the little access door. I could also place it next to the gas tank. My thinking is that the main issue is access to change the filter. Am I missing something?

(2) There is almost no clearance between the front of the engine and the engine compartment wall. Thus, I don't think the MMI FWC system will work. I think the Indigo mechanical FWC system will work, and certainly the Indigo electrical FWC will work. My thinking is that easy access for maintenance will be an important consideration. Has someone been down this road before and know where to go?

(3) Has someone installed the Indigo oil filter in the Catalina 30? My thinking os that being able to access for oil and filter changes is the important consideration.

(4) I planned to use two starting batteries in parallel. My idea is to construct a box, glass over it well, and glass it to the hull in the area on the port side of the engine under the port settee. Both house and engine batteries were there originally, so there is plenty of room. My thinking was to use the wall of the battery box to mount different objects.

I can post some pictures if that will help.

Thanks.
  #2   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Afourian MVP

Russel,
Pics would be a good idea indeed. Also take a couple of your lazarette storage area as well. My fuel filter is in the Prt lazarette on the base of the cockpit wall.

There is a fuel shut-off (1 of 2) there as well. The only things I stow on that side are my batteries (secured), fenders, spare dock lines (for travel) and extra anchor rhode. Other than the batteries there is nothing "hard" to hit the copper lines and filter.

If I need to drain / change the filter I can remove the ropes and fender and get right in there and to it...very accessible.

My boat is a C&C 30. When I did the engine 4 years ago I cut the Prt side bulkhead and put an access panel. The Stb side had one. At that time installed additional bulkheads in Lazarettes to keep stowage from falling directly down behind engine onto shifter cables and shaft...bulkhead separates gas tank. If I remove one lazarette bulkhead I can get in and access the rear of the engine easily. If I remove both I can go into one and up and out the other side. Not sure if you have that kind of room back there also.

While your engine is out you could try and make the surrounding area as accessible as possible for future access. I'm not sure if you have a quarter berth but that might limit access on one side. The great thing is that there are quite a few C30 owner on here.

As for paint. I like white on the walls and sole of the engine area. If you install a light in there it will reflect very well and give you good view. Also easier to see leaks, belts throwing rubber from wear etc...FWIW.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #3   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 08-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Like Mo said, plenty of C-30 guys here. Here's what I've learned during the refit of mine:

(1) Fuel filter location
Mine is directly behind the engine right above the shaft coupler. Works pretty well.

(2) FWC and the Catalina 30
Lots of info in the archives, here is my story: http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5008

(3) I don't have oil filtration, can't comment.

(4) Two starting batteries in parallel
I think that's overkill. I've never needed more than my single group 24 starting battery had to offer. Keeping the engine starting battery isolated is more important. I think using the extra battery for house purposes will serve you better.

Regarding the battery location, the Catalina 30 typically has a slight port list. Many owners place their batteries under the starboard chart table to counteract this. I have 5 batteries spread out around the boat: the engine starter slightly outboard of the engine, a two battery bank under the dinette seat at the base of the mast post amidships and another two battery bank under the starboard main cabin seat/berth.

Using the wall of the engine starter battery box to mount stuff, you're right - it's a very convenient location. I mounted my FWC heat exchanger and raw water strainer there as shown in the FWC thread provided above.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #4   IP: 199.68.38.6
Old 09-07-2011, 02:50 PM

Planning Engine Install for Catalina 30

I have finished all of my fiberglass and paint work in the engine compartment and will be placing the exchange engine in the boat this coming Saturday. The elapsed time to be ready to place the exchange engine is longer than I expected. The boat will come out for the year the weekend after this one.

I don't expect I will be able to run the engine at all this fall; I still need to fabricate and install all the supporting systems. I plan to make sure there is no water in the block, fill it full of oil, give each cylinder some good squirts of MMO, remove the spark plugs and hand crank a bunch of times. Sealing off the exhaust opening is what I think is the last step.

So, new exchange engine, never been run apart from the bench testing at Moyer's shop, being stored for winter. Am I missing anything?

Pictures coming soon.

Thanks!!!
  #5   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 09-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Afourian MVP

Thumbs up

Russell,
Sounds like a good plan to me.

I have a '77 C-30 and I am also right in the middle of adding new systems and re-furbishing old ones.

I used the table support bolts (when you drop it in as a berth that also doubles as the seat cushion retainer) to mount a piece of 3/4" thick PVC board to the inside of the front of the engine compartment. This gives you limitless options for mounting things, and you are not actually drilling holes thru your nice freshly painted fiberglass.

Below is a link to a thread I started which shows the progress you are in the middle of right now. The latest crappy cell phone picture shows the PVC board, along with my oil filter kit location. I am (slowly) working on FWC also, and plan to mount the over flow bottle & HX on this forward bulkhead as well. As Neil commented, I've moved my batteries under the stbd settee/chart table area. The other thing under there is the fresh water pump. I mounted my raw water strainer just to stbd of the aft access door & the Racor just to port. There are lots of pics of that stuff floating around on this forum.

http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5224

Sounds like your planning things nicely..keep up the good work.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 09-08-2011 at 08:57 AM.
  #6   IP: 128.183.140.38
Old 09-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Afourian MVP

I had a similar situation to you. My rebuilt went aboard on Dec 1, and sat there untouched until I got it hooked up and started in early May.

Your plan sounds good. The only comment I have is that it will be hard to be sure you've gotten all the water out of the block. My approach was to run antifreeze thru the block while I still had the engine on the bench, then drain it.

This way, any trapped pockets of liquid still wouldn't freeze.