• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Like a bumper sticker I once saw:
    Across the top was a big wood type screw.
    Across the bottom the caption read "Screw The Golden Years"

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Marian Claire
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2007

I use orange, well it was orange, yarn on the shrouds. Does save looking up and when combined with what the sail tells me is close enough for my type of sailing. My windex has been out of line for years, damn bird. To much sun in my youth so it is big hats and sunscreen for me. Had enough Mohs procedures but am sure there will be more. No issue with that lately as I have not seen the sun in several days. Hunkerd down just north of St Andrews Sound waiting for this N wind to lay down.
      Dan S/V Marian Claire
      Last edited by Marian Claire; 03-07-2014, 02:49 AM.

Comment

• Roadking Larry
        • Mar 2014

I put a set of Davis shroud tells on the Macgregor since I forgot to put the sparfly up when I put up the mast. seemd to work pretty good.

The "new" Cal has a big black thing with cups and a vane for the top of the mast and a fancy panel gauge down in the cockpit. I really hope it works.

Comment

• romantic comedy
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

I tell people "the older I get, the better I was"

Comment

• Skywalker
            • Jan 2012

Mo,

Excellent thread, thanks for sharing. DDD, in most of our futures. My 88 year old father just got his CT results back...stenosis and DDD. More than half my patients have this diagnosis.

I like your hat solution. Clever. I started wearing my Greek fisherman's hat a lot over the past year. It is very comfortable, stable on the head. I also have a wide brimmed "Aussie hat" that I wear.

But I have a solution to the heat problem. One of my patients, a great old salt from Newfoundland, resides in an assisted living center where I see patients. He walked into my office with a light blue Greek fisherman's hat. I asked him about it, and he answered that it was his "summer hat. I went on the web, found the GreekMarket web site. You can get a cotton version of the Greek hat in white, blue, tan, black. I bought one for him in white. I'm planning on buying myself a cotton one this spring.

Skywalker

Comment

• Mo
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Skywalker View Post
              Mo,

Excellent thread, thanks for sharing. DDD, in most of our futures. My 88 year old father just got his CT results back...stenosis and DDD. More than half my patients have this diagnosis.

I like your hat solution. Clever. I started wearing my Greek fisherman's hat a lot over the past year. It is very comfortable, stable on the head. I also have a wide brimmed "Aussie hat" that I wear.

But I have a solution to the heat problem. One of my patients, a great old salt from Newfoundland, resides in an assisted living center where I see patients. He walked into my office with a light blue Greek fisherman's hat. I asked him about it, and he answered that it was his "summer hat. I went on the web, found the GreekMarket web site. You can get a cotton version of the Greek hat in white, blue, tan, black. I bought one for him in white. I'm planning on buying myself a cotton one this spring.

Skywalker
              Saw them but liked my beige one more...it's just an Arnold Palmer golfing hat I think. There is a liner in it as well...pretty good hat...of course it's all personal taste in the end.
              Mo

"Odyssey"
              1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
              The optimist expects it to change.
              The realist adjusts the sails.
              ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                • Jan 2007

Tale of no tales

Mo, well put all the way. I have been an avid cyclist most all of my life and if you commute on the roads you'll go down. I've been hit by a car twice and had many a bone unhinged and broke. I landed on top of my head both times and one was quite bed and while in my twenties I broke my back (5 vertebrae) while being stupid. I spent years trying to find relief and finally I found a chiropractor and a Sports Orthopede who made all the difference in the world. They had me work on strengthening the little muscle groups and making it a regiment. As long as I stick to my exercise and pay attention I still function fine. My neck is a bit of a problem still and seeing this post and Mo's comments really brings paying attention to causes too. After reading this I realized that it has been a long time since I have looked up much for trim unless racing of course. Once out sailing and the sails are set I can sail for hours and not touch anything as I have the touch for my boat which has not had a telltale for at least 20 years now. The only downside is I have an Osprey that likes my masthead. He even stayed put while motoring out of Alimitos Bay, lots of people noticed and he stayed until we got into some waves.

I feel that a lot of spine pains are due to the lack of working on the problem instead of just suffering. Taking pain meds is something I avoid as much as possible but I did get a good bit of advise from the Orthopede regarding meds. As I have many places in my body that can get sore after riding for over 40 miles or so. When I am going to go for a long ride I know I am going to have some swelling and discomfort so I took his advise and when I do so I take a anti-inflammatory before I go and most of the swelling does not happen and neither does the pain. When doing this I never have to take anything after the fact for a couple of days like before~~one dose good for a long go.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  • Nov 2008

+1 On Exercises

About four years ago I was working on the A4. The whatever it was nut that I was trying to loosen was frozen\corroded in place so I gave it maximum torque. The problem was that I was twisted like a pretzel when I did this and I felt something in my lower back snap. My lower back was so sore that I couldn't stand up straight. Ended up in physical therapy for 3-4 months and got it squared away.

I still do the exercises and stretches three times a week. My lower back is in perfect shape. I can do anything I want and my back doesn't bother me a bit. It's like my back is 20 years old again. I wrap the jib sheet a couple of times around the winch grab it with both hands stand up and brace aginst the bench with one foot lean back and pull it in. No problems. In fact it feels good on my lower back.
                  This is comming from sombody whose L5 vertebrate is fused to their tail bone.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• romantic comedy
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

john, I dont follow. I too had L5, S1 fused

Comment

• Mo
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jun 2007

...and here's why I have a sore neck. Used to wear that hat all summer out there...summer of 2013 was the big change to a narrow peak hat and the neck extending back is nowhere near as dramatic.
                      Attached Files
                      Mo

"Odyssey"
                      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                      The optimist expects it to change.
                      The realist adjusts the sails.
                      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• thatch
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2009

Mo, On the way to the boat last week I visited the local hat shop where I was able to find one similar to your tan one. When the sales girl said that it didn't very nautical, I responded with, "In my book function trumps appearance any day of the week". I'm looking forward to actually sailing with it.
                        Thank's, Tom

Comment

Working...
                        X