• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kelly
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2004

Back to oil types...

Would anyone care to re-visit the Atomic 4 oil issue?

I've read and re-read all the threads on oil types appropriate for the A4 and am still wondering about my options here in France.

This site (and Universal Motors, I believe) recommend either 30W or 10W30 oil. Some here have warned about the "slipperiness" of synthetic oils, like the most commonly available synthetic 10W40.

Here in France, I cannot get 30W or 10W30 oil without a special order from accross town (50 liter minimum)- and it's expensive. In the automotive stores I can find 10W40 (synthetic or semi-synthetic), 15W40, 0W30 (expensive) etc.

My reversing gear worked well for the year I used it (the PO was using 10W30 Penzoil) and I'm worried about ruining the obviously satisfactory adjustments with a different oil type.

So, any suggestions?

Kelly
    Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic
  • jhwelch
    • Dec 2005

If the store sells Penzoil brand can't they get the Penzoil 30W?

I'm also having oil issues (lowish pressure) so have been thinking about
    this issue for a while.

-jonathan

Comment

• Kelly
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2004

I neglected to mention that I brought the boat to France- the previous owner was buying his oil in New England (Penzoil).

Kelly
      Kelly

sigpic

Comment

• tenders
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

I would be surprised if 10W40 weren't perfectly acceptable oil. The first number, 10, is an indication of the oil's viscosity when the engine is cold. (Higher number = higher viscosity = "thicker".) So at startup when you need lubrication the most, there is little or no difference between 10W30 and 10W40. And keep in mind that the original spec for the A4 oil was straight-weight 30 oil, which at cool temperatures is going to be much thicker than 10W30 or 10W40. (Admittedly, multiweight oil was not available when the A4 was designed.)

The second number, 40, is an indication of the viscosity when the engine is hot. A4s do not get all that hot in the first place, being low-RPM, low-compression, low-power, and in most cases raw-water-cooled, so the difference between 30 and 40 at less than "full" temperature is probably pretty slight anyway.

Perhaps you'd simply adjust the oil pressure screw a bit once the engine is fully warmed up...or perhaps not.

Comment

• neal nelson
          • Oct 2007

detergent oil / non detergent oil.

with no oil filter you're going to want to use with non detergent SAE 30

Comment

• #6 Unapproved
            Another opinion on oil types

I've been reading the words of Canadian A4 expert (and merchant) Robert Hess today. He has his own opinion about the weight and type of oil to be used for our beloved Universal engines. Check it out:

"We recommend gas and diesel Universal marine engines operating in southern Canada / northern US with ambient temperatures over 10 ° C / 50 ° F, including Atomic Four engines, use SAE 10 - 40 multi-grade oil. Gasoline engine oil should have an API rating of "SJ"... "We recommend the use of a top quality brand-name oil such as Petro-Canada, Valvoline, or Shell. Do not mix brands."

I happen to use 10-40, but have been wondering if this is the best.

Comment

• #7 Unapproved
              URL for Robert Hess quote

Apologies, as usual I forgot the URL. Atomic Four expert and supporter has his A4 webpage at: http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/atomic4/faq/atomic4faq.htm

Comment

• Kelly
                Afourian MVP
                • Oct 2004

Based on these comments and the FAQs on the Robert Hess site, I'll try the 10W40 oil for now (name brand) and get back to you with the results next summer...

Kelly
                Kelly

sigpic

Comment

• SEMIJim
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by neal nelson View Post
                  with no oil filter you're going to want to use with non detergent SAE 30
                  Why? Specifically: Why does the lack of an oil filter matter with regards to whether you use a straight-weight oil or a multi-viscosity oil, a detergent or non-detergent oil?

I would think the best oil for the engine would depend on the engine's requirements. All an oil filter does is remove debris from the system.

Or have I been operating under a fundimental misunderstanding of how engines and their lubrication systems work since the days I used to street race on Woodward Ave.?

Jim

Comment

• SEMIJim
                    • Oct 2007

tenders' analysis and Mr. Hess' opinion notwithstanding: If the engine's manufacturer recommended SAE 30, then I would think either SAE 30 or SAE 10W30 would be the way to go.

One imagines it is possible Universal recommended SAE 30 as a compromise between too-high viscosity at start-up and too-low viscosity at normal max operating temperature. IOW: Perhaps 10W40 would have been recommended had it been available. But we don't know that.

Kelly: I'm kind of surprised you're having this problem. 10W30 is as common as dirt, here. I"m pretty sure I've got some Quaker State 10W30 out in the garage, as my old lawn-mower called for it. Or perhaps the current one does. Something did. Or does. Don't recall. IIRC, it was 10W30 for some outside temperature ranges, 10W40 for others.

You could just go ahead and order a case. Certainly if you're going to keep the boat you will use it.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X