Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 69.33.31.254
Old 07-16-2007, 03:38 PM

Engine won't start and I'm at my wits-end

So, I've been futzing about with this engine since I put the boat in the water this spring, and it just will not start. (In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have put the boat in the water until the engine was running, but I was confident that I could get her running in no time.) Anyway, the engine cranks but will not start.

After launch, I tried to start her up to get her over to her mooring. No luck, had to get towed.

When I got out to the mooring, I started running through Don Moyer's troubleshooting guides (the pdf and the printed A4 maintenance manual), as follows. Please double-check my logic and troubleshooting, and offer suggestions on what I should try next:

My first thoughts were bad/old/stale/waterlogged gas. So, I pumped all the old gas from my tank and refilled with 5 gals of fresh.

Tried to start, no dice.

I pulled the No. 1 spark plug, and, while a teeny bit fouled-looking, it jumped out at me that it wasn't even a tiny bit moist. Bone dry. Hmmm. Fuel isn't getting into the engine?

I took the supply hose off the [electric] fuel pump, to check for good supply there. I had cranked the engine several times at this point, so I expected a steady drip at the very least out of the supply hose. Oddly enough, fuel was not coming out of the supply line. That supply line came from the fuel filter, meaning that fuel was not getting from the filter to the engine. Okay, easy enough, I think to myself. Just replace the filter.

So, I replace the filter, thinking it was clogged. Still, no fuel from the fuel filter. Hmmm, I thought, since I now know the filter is perfect, the problem must be upstream of the fuel filter.

I took the hose off the supply (tank) side of the filter, and saw no fuel coming from there, either. The supply line wasn't even moist with fuel, and it didn't even smell like gas. I started checking the hose for leaks along its entire length (found none), and noticed that the fuel tank shutoff valve was still closed! I slapped my forehead, cursed a few times, and opened the cutoff. Still, no fuel came out of the hose, even though the valve was supposedly now in the open position. I attached a primer bulb in the supply side of the hose, and started trying to pump the fuel into the hose. No dice. No matter how long I pumped the primer bulb, nothing came out of the hose. Arggh!

Next, it occurred to me that maybe the fuel tank wasn't venting properly. So, I replaced the fuel vent hose, and, just to be sure, blew through the vent end of the hose and heard a gurgling noise in the tank. Well, the fuel vent certainly isn't clogged anymore, if it even was before. After doing this, I used the primer bulb again, trying to pump fuel into the hose. No luck again. To me, this indicates some problem with the fuel pickup in the tank. Maybe sludge or something. Well, this is an enclosed SS tank, full of fresh gasoline with no sort of inspection hatch/port, so this is as far as I could take this line of questioning.

Reasoning there was some sort of poltergeist in my fuel tank preventing fuel from being pulled from it, I bought an outboard fuel tank. My reasoning at this point is that I just need to get fuel to the engine, and if it worked I could sail all season this year using the aftermarket tank, and then pull the old tank in the offseason and either fix it or replace it with a new inboard tank.

So, I buy a 12-gallon tank and get the fuel line hooked up. One squeeze on the primer bulb and fuel spurted out as expected. Yay! I hooked this up to my fuel filter, squeezed the primer bulb a couple more times, and fuel squirted
out of the filter. Yay! I attached the hose from the fuel filter to the pump, primed it twice more, and, after running the blower a bit, tried to start the engine again.

Still cranks, but wont start. GRRR.

I pull the plugs again, and the plugs are all STILL bone dry.

At this point, I get curious and decide to pull out the center connection from the coil and try to make an arc while cranking the engine. No spark, no arc, no nothing. Great, I have no spark AND no fuel. Since I have the plugs out at this point tinkering with trying to see a spark out of something ANYTHING, I remember that I've gotten replacement plugs in the mail from moyer, so I gap and install them, and try to turn the engine over again.

No start. Still gives a healthy crank, but never turns over.

I'm at my wits-end. At this point, I've spent every weekend of a great sailing season pottering about in my engine compartment, and, since the boat is bobbing about at her mooring, I've made myself seasick a few times in the process. Sure, I could probably get out of the harbor under sail alone and go for a nice day-sail, but I surely wouldn't feel comfortable in case a storm came up, or when I needed to get the boat back into harbor, through a crowded mooring field, and back tied up to my mooring ball, under sail alone.

So, I raise the white flag, admit I'm at the limits of my expertise, and make a call up to Larsen Marine, up at Waukegan (my marina has no mechanic, and Larsen is the closest). Mark, the guy I speak to there, is very helpful, assuring me that its probably nothing more then points. He tells me how to clean them, and even how to change them if need be, over the phone. They were very helpful! He assured me that I could definitely do this myself without his help.

So, buoyed with newfound confidence in my tinkering skills, I order the complete tuneup kit next-day shipped from Moyer, and the following weekend I set about the task.

I had to do this one-handed, while I held a little shaving mirror with my other hand, because on my boat, there is no access aft of the third spark plug. And let me tell you how quickly you can get seasick trying to change the points on your distributor, backwards, using a shaving mirror and only one hand. There's barely enough room to change the last two plugs, and there certainly is no direct access to the distributor, water pump, dipstick or coil without cutting an access port in the floor of the cockpit.

So, it took me an entire day just to install the points using my shaving mirror, and even though I lost three set screws and a two screwdrivers into the bilge, I managed to get her done! All told, I replaced the plugs, plug wires, points, condenser, and rotor, retimed the engine so No 1 cylinder was at TDC, and tried again.

Didnt even crank. The battery was dead! ARRRGGGH! Another weekend wasted. I took the batteries home for some quality time with the charger.

This past weekend, with charged batteries and a heart full of hope, I journeyed back to my boat. I installed the batteries, primed the fuel system, and turned the key...

AND IT STILL DIDNT F*@&ing START. It cranks, but wont turn over. The plugs are still dry, and I still cant get an arc out of the coil wire when I hold it to the head.

Dear lord, talk about frustrated. I can't even express how saddened I was to miss another weekend of gorgeous sailing weather.

So please, someone, ANYONE give me some advice on where I should turn next.

Thanks in advance.

The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNewport27 For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-07-2020)
  #2   IP: 70.137.138.128
Old 07-17-2007, 01:24 AM

multiple points of failure

Your troubleshooting seems logical to me. It sounds like you just have a boat that has been neglected, and you are probably dealing with multiple points of failure. It seems you are assuming that if you fix one problem, the engine will start. You may have to look at the carbauretor (i cant spell it, so I sure can't tell you how it works). Perhaps it is good that you are moving through the systems and taking care of problems that would cost you down the road (at an inopportune time no doubt!).

After spending three days inside the engine compartment of my Catalina 27, I can say, do what you can to get comfortable. Accept that a boat owner has to spend time doing maintenance (unless you can write a check instead of picking up a wrench). Question: is the mooring working for you? Can you move the boat to a marina? This won't be the last time you spend many hours below.
  #3   IP: 69.33.31.254
Old 07-17-2007, 01:48 PM

I guess what I'm after here is just a sense for what stones are left unturned. After replacing all the stuff I've replaced to this point, I'm at a loss for what I should be looking at next.

I know the A4 is a really simple engine. Fuel, plus spark, should equal an engine startup. Even if that startup is the most rough, coughing and sputtering start on only two cylinders with odd-colored smoke coming out of the exhaust, the engine should at least turn over, right? And, if it doesn't start, from everything I know about engines, and everything I've read about the A4, it's either fuel or spark to blame, right?

Well, let me just think aloud here:

I've changed everything in the ignition system except for the coil and the wiring.

The starter is trying to turn the engine over, so the wiring from the battery, through the ignition switch, to the starter solenoid would seem to be free from blame, right?

The wiring from the starter to the coil might be suspect, although I checked and the wires appeared to be in good condition with no obvious abrasions and securely attached to the starter and the coil. There could be some unseen problem with this wire, I'll grant.

The wiring from the coil negative lead to the ground on the front of the crankcase is a little worn-looking, but the connections are secure. There could be some unseen problem with this wire, too, I guess.

The main lead from the center of the coil to the center of the distributor is new-ish, with no corrosion and it snaps into place on both ends securely. The other distributor wires are in good shape. However, it concerns me that I cant pull off the lead and get a good arc. Thats a test common to all the repair manuals, yet I cant get it to work here.

On the fuel side: I've not tinkered with the carb at all, nor have I removed the flame arrestor to check for pooled fuel. I've only tinkered with things up to the fuel pump. Speaking of which, I only am guessing the fuel pump is working, but I dont know of a way of knowing for sure.

What am I forgetting?

Help?!

#4   IP: 206.230.48.34
Old 07-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Afourian MVP

Wow, do I ever feel for you. I think you're close to a running engine. I am guessing there is something very simple that just isn't right but, I'm not sure your troubleshooting has been ruthlessly logical. When you were figuring out the fuel supply you needed to look down every single inch of the fuel line and you missed a closed valve. I'm not saying the process you followed was dumb...my engine shut down in a stiff breeze halfway out to my mooring right after I launched this year for the same reason...but it wasn't logical. You have to be uncompromisingly anal retentive about this and you will be rewarded. (I suggest placing a piece of tape over the teeth of your ignition key listing what you've done whenever you modify something that prevents the engine from starting or running safely--like closing a fuel valve, stuffing a rag into the exhaust, removing a water pump, etc.)

So:
(1) are you sure you're getting fuel out of the pump? Obviously this has to happen and it doesn't sound as though you're sure it is. Fuel is getting TO the pump but perhaps not THROUGH it. Airlock? You need to disconnect the line at the carb and see if you can get fuel to come out of the pump side. If it flows, is there any reason to think there might be severe sludge in the carb preventing it from getting to the engine? If there's no reason to suspect a wad of sludge, I wouldn't take the carb off until you figure out...

(2) why you aren't getting spark. There is no substitute for a $15 multimeter on a boat. There are just a few wires to test for voltage and continuity, then you have to assume failed components. You have voltage to the coil? Is the coil old? I'd replace it if you don't know, it seems highly suspect. The only other thing I can think of is that one of the wires to the ignition system looks OK but is broken inside the insulation or not making contact at a connection--perhaps it's crimped incorrectly or pulled partway out. But the multimeter will help you find that. To me the problems you're describing sound electrical in nature, and by the way, with such difficult access to the points and condenser, a $100 investment in electronic ignition would not be a bad idea in my opinion--even though you just replaced the analog stuff.

(3) did you close the raw water intake before you did all this fruitless cranking? you should check to make sure you still have good compression. It is quite possible to inadvertently suck water into the engine and blow the head gasket. Stuck valves are also a possible reason for not running but even if they're stuck you still need (1) and (2) first.

Only once you have these three things working beyond a doubt would I look for more complex stuff and remove the carb or look for extreme exhaust blockages or bizarre timing issues (see below).

Were you the owner of the boat the last time the engine ran? When was that?

I suspect once you get these things resolved the engine will roar to life, and you will feel a rush which is even better than a lot of things that are supposed to have no equal. My sympathies on the seasickness--I have that unfortunate tendency too. Through (for once) no doing of my own, my engine's distributor was at some point in the engine's history installed 180 degrees out of sync with "normal" and I spent days and days in the boat and several times getting sick over the side assembling the ignition "by the book" and trying to figure out why it kept backfiring and wouldn't start. This situation was identified by a last-ditch random frustrated effort of rotating the wires around the cap. Dumb and illogical...but all the logical had been followed, leaving only the illogical...and VA-VOOM! (I also set the boat on fire with ether but that's another story altogether. See, things could be worse!)

PS, I ran the batteries dead while doing this too and ended up buying a 2-cycle AC/DC generator to allow me to continue troubleshooting at the mooring the next time this happens. The generator puts out quite a lot of DC current, although not enough to immediately start an engine from a totally dead battery. This is easier, but not cheaper, than removing the batteries for charging. And it is cheaper, though not easier, than hauling out. Anybody with the same problem in the greater New York area is welcome to borrow the generator.

Last edited by tenders; 07-17-2007 at 02:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tenders For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-07-2020)
  #5   IP: 69.33.31.254
Old 07-17-2007, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the great advice tenders! I'll report back here when I've done more testing along the lines you suggested.
  #6   IP: 70.137.135.106
Old 07-20-2007, 02:03 AM

using a "jumper" to test the coil

This post talks about using a "jumper" to test the coil. The boat does not have points, but it is some good information on testing the coil:

http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/printthread.php?t=856
  #7   IP: 129.37.151.242
Old 08-11-2007, 03:06 AM

Engine won't work

I suspect that the plugs are dry because the carb is blocked and fuel is not getting into the carb, through it and to the plugs.

If you take the carb off there are four screws. Open them. You will see a float, take it off by removing he pin. Under that is a needle in seat, that controls the gas coming into the carb. I bet that it is blocked. I would clean out the carb. You need some compressed air to do that. The sprays do not work. Compressed air does. Make sure that every little tub is completely clean.

If your fuel system does not have two filters I would put an other one on it should be 2 micron and the first one should be 10 micron. Racor has one the number is 110 a you can buy a 2 micron filter to fit that model. But is a bit hard to find. But Racor makes it and you can get it.

That will help to make sure that the fuel in to the carb is clean which will go along way to making sure the carb stays clean and your plugs get gas.

On the rest of your problem, I would only be guessing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harold For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-07-2020)
  #8   IP: 64.12.116.198
Old 08-14-2007, 03:22 AM

I would suggest taking a can of starting fluid aboard and spraying a squirt down the carb throat. If the engine roars to life however briefly you know your problem is fuel not spark. I believe if it is fuel it is likely the float valve as was previously suggested. I also have a Newport 27 and the spark is difficult to see since the sun is in your eyes when your facing cyclinders 1 & 2. I had a similar problem this year and removed the carb and used carb cleaner to remove the junk buildup but was unable to remove the float pin. After my third removal of the carb, gets easier each time, I finally noticed and removed the allen screw in the aft end of the carb at the float area. This area was loaded with junk and again using carb cleaner flushed the offending material out, replaced carb and engine started immediate after initial prime. Don't be fooled into believing the float is free by just turning the carb over a few times and seeing it move, I was and wasted time until I actually cleaned it properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to bayway27 For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-07-2020)
  #9   IP: 72.82.22.138
Old 08-15-2007, 11:02 AM

rdsuratt

Sounds like you are having a summer like mine!!!
I am assuming the engine is actually turning over but is not firing(??)
From what I have read...seems you know what the problems are...just need to fix them.
Everyone has given good advice. "Tenders" reply is VERY logical as what to do. Fix the "no spark" problem and Fix the "no gas" to the carb problem or the engine will not run. Slow methodical troubleshooting, fix one problem at a time. Also per Tenders, I also suggest a multimeter on board (I have two). For your "spark" problem you need the ability to measure voltage and continuity. (IF no spark from coil, either no juice to coil or a bad coil (wires?? connections??)) No gas in carb (plugged line?? stuck needle valve??? Float??Fuel pump working???)
My wife and I live on our Tartan 34 on a mooring in Newport RI. Tenders suggestion for a small generator is invaluable for battery charging etc.
Also I have had two sailboats with A4s and I converted both to electronic ignition (in my opinion this is the best single change to the A4 you can make as far as performance and ease of "Tune-up"). (especially if access is a problem)
If you want to know my summer read (under cooling) "Late model FW cooled overheating". I feel for you, I'm at wits-end also. At least you are getting responses, I have had none.
  #10   IP: 72.69.143.216
Old 08-15-2007, 02:03 PM

starting problems

Hey Chicago,
Is your A4 a new model or an old model? The old model has a Prestolite distributor that relies on a very thin piece of insulation to separate current-carrying parts from the distributor case which is grounded. That piece of insulation becomes very fragile with age and tends to break up and fall apart with the slightest encouragement. Without it, or if it is installed incorrectly, you have a dead short inside your distributor: your points will not show any spark; your coil will not produce any spark; you will scratch your head and think a lot of bad thoughts about your A4.

If you have the Prestolite distributor, Don sells the insulating kit for it.

If you don't have the Prestolite, well, good luck solving your problems.

Mike
  #11   IP: 24.186.164.179
Old 08-17-2007, 08:53 AM

Chicago, one thing in your post jumped out at me. You say you changed the element in your filter then couldn't get a draw in your fuel line. Was it blocked or just sucking air? I recently had a shut-down due to a clogged Racor filter. I couldn't get the base off the filter to replace the element so I went down to West Marine and bought a new filter with the base. I installed it and the engine started for 5 minutes then shut down. I saw that the filter had not filled with fuel and I couldn't get a draw on the fuel line at the fuel pump--not by sucking or 10 minutes of the primer ball. After checking the line back to the tank I returned to the filter. The gasket looked fine but didn't fit in the grove at the top of the filter perfectly. I grabbed the old filter and low-and-behold, the gasket was different. It must have been a gasket for a different element, but it fit almost perfectly into the inside groove of the element. The proper gasket should have gone in the outside groove! I had bought the right element, but the bag it came in wasn't sealed and somebody must have put the wrong gasket on it.

Engine runs fine now. Electrically, you need to go over everything you did and double/triple check your wiring. Make absolutely sure the right wires are going to the proper terminals. Get the wiring diagram out. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to ghaegele For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-07-2020)
  #12   IP: 98.21.237.193
Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

wont start

first I'm a maintenance man for a living, it seems to me 1st that you have a fuse blown , because I can bet that your electric fuel pump is not working,2nd I would look at( I mean check with a volt/ohms meter) you key switch to make sure that you are getting some juice to the coil because you need fuel and spark to fire any engine up that's the nature of the beast
  #13   IP: 138.88.162.86
Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 AM

Get Better Access.

You're close...Keep going till you get it. Get the carb off and clean it.
That should fix the fuel problem. Can't get the carb off? Remove whatever obstacles are in your way.

Spark- 3-4 ohms across the terminals of the coil is what you should see there. Make sure you see 12v at the coil positive wire.

Can you do anything to improve your access? Seriously consider cutting some access panels around your engine to get to stuff.

You can bet that if access is difficult, this engine never saw proper maintenance. They can take a lot of abuse, but if you want it running right, get some access. This pays dividens not just for this project, but for every future one as well.

Round plastic "Inspection ports" are cheap and easy to install. Get a Dremmel tool and start cutting.
The Following User Says Thank You to msauntry For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-07-2020)
  #14   IP: 12.47.208.50
Old 08-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Afourian MVP

Note that ChicagoNewport27's postings are from last year and he hasn't posted since mid-July 2007.
  #15   IP: 77.251.215.216
Old 04-19-2009, 03:32 PM

i did not read it all my English is not good enough
if i read this your choke is not closing
so it cannot get enough gas
i had that problem
greetings henri
  #16   IP: 69.33.31.201
Old 05-04-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenders View Post
Note that ChicagoNewport27's postings are from last year and he hasn't posted since mid-July 2007.

Hello all! Thanks for replying to this thread. I owe you all an update!

Shortly after my last response to this thread, I had a string of health problems, culminating in a surgery. As a result of health and the associated financial difficulties, last summer my boat sat idle in the boat yard, out of the water.

HOWEVER, I'm determined she will sail this summer!

I spent the entire weekend on the boat last weekend. My put-in date is 5/15, so I don't have much time to get this engine running.

So far, I've commenced troubleshooting this non-starting A4 where I left off. I replaced all sparkplugs and their wires, the coil, the batteries, installed an ignitor electonic ignition system, and a new fuel pump.

I do have a Moyer carb rebuild kit handy if it seems she's not getting fuel for some reason (I'm not that far along yet... no spark to the ignition system beyond the starter, and the fuel pump isn't even getting current yet).

Tried to turn her over yesterday, and...
The starter engages (with vigor! yay!), but the engine does not fire up.

Upon further examination, it seems as though no power is getting to my coil or distributor, thus no spark. Also, the fuel pump does not turn on when I turn the key over (although other various things work, like the blower, lights, bilge pumps, etc).

Tonight, after work, I'm going to go trace the wires from the battery up to the coil and see if anything is awry. Maybe a blown fuse or something?

To make matters worse, yesterday I did notice that all the wire colors are wrong, as though the previous owner(s) used whatever wire was at hand to cobble the thing together. For example, the wire grounding the electrics to one of the engine bolts is Red, not black as it should be! I sincerely hope they didn't wire the entire shootin match backwards, or I may have inadvertently wired up my batteries backwards and fried some alternator diodes (or worse).

Wish me luck. I'll report back tomorrow with my findings.

Last edited by ChicagoNewport27; 05-04-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: various misspellings
TimBSmith (09-07-2020)
  #17   IP: 66.108.48.122
Old 05-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Afourian MVP

Welcome back.

Sorry to hear about your medical problems. Glad to hear that you are still determined to get your A4 ticking.
Good gas + spark + air = it should turn over, right?
Not to add to your litany of woes but after all this time any fuel you have in the tank MAY be suspect.
Exhaust back pressure will make the engine run poorly but should not stop it from turning over and firing up.

I cleaned and serviced our carb over the winter and I have to say that it was not as difficult a job as I had thought it might be.

I wish you well in your efforts and look forward to hearing your progress.
  #18   IP: 24.12.252.32
Old 05-08-2009, 07:44 AM

Since my last update, last night was the first opportunity I've had to tinker with my A4. I worked from about 4pm until 10:30pm (via flashlight).

I watched Don Moyers video on the ignition system before I went. I bought it a while ago, just never had the chance to watch it. WHAT AN EYE-OPENER!

I got to the boat, determined to try Don's troubleshooting techniques using a jumper wire to the coil.

But first, I needed to know what all these incorrectly-colored wires were doing. I traced all wires from the primary ignition back to the battery bank. I was dismayed to find that some well-meaning PO grounded the engine using a 2 guage red battery cable. It was obviously meant to serve as ground, as it was secured to an engine bolt where other components were being grounded. Following it toward the battery bank, I found that it ended at the OFF-1-ALL-2 battery selector switch, at one of the terminals meant to be for the incoming positive lead! Oy vey.

To make a long story short, I ran correctly-guaged black wire from the engine ground back to the battery bank. Then I rewired the battery selector switch.

Now, back to the engine.

I connected the jumper from the starter to the + side of the coil. I then removed the center lead from the coil to the distributor, and held it near the block so I could watch for sparking. Turned the key.

I see spark! Albeit a very weak spark.

I replaced the center lead from the coil to the distributor, opened the fuel petc0ck, and turned the key again. Again, the starter engages with vigor, but no ignition.

For some reason, at this point, I notice a black wire leading from the oil sender thingy (on the lower right side of the engine, in the front, as you're facing it) wasn't connected to anything. A close examination of this wire, I realize the black part of the wire is actually connected (with a wire nut *slaps forehead*) to a brownish-red wire (either a red wire browned with age, heat, or dirt, or it was originally a brown wire). Interesting. The other wire on this sender goes over to the fuel pump. Ah-ha, maybe thats why no fuel is getting to the carb?

I connect this to the positive lead of the coil, and try her again.

She didn't start, but, over the din of the starter engaging, I could hear something different was happening. Now, in addition to the starter engaging, I heard some "putt-putt-sputter-putt* noises coming from the back of the boat. Huh? I turned off the key and went to look over the transom. Lo and behold, a 3-foot long stripe of rusty water was on the ground below the exhaust thru-hull. Yay! Apparently, a cylinder or two had fired enough to make exhaust, which in turn exhausted water from the water lift muffler?

I'm close, I can feel it. Why is it not turning over?

Puzzled, I sit down [with a bag of pistachios] and examine the wiring diagrams again. Remembering Don Moyers ignition system DVD, I think that maybe at this point I was confronting a timing problem.

Putting the engine back at TDC, I glance at the distributor cap and realize that the wires from the plugs to the distributor are wired in the wrong order! Arrgh!

Now, I had monkeyed with the distributor a few days before when I added the new Ignitor electric ignition. I didn't change any of the wires around, I just replaced the old points breaker plate with the new breaker plate, and put the cap back on. I had never taken the time to suspect that the plugs were wired in the wrong order.

Repeating to myself 1-2-4-3, clockwise from the side of the cap furthest from the engine, I wired the plugs in the correct sequence.

Now, I'm suspecting that EVERYTHING is done incorrectly, so I am questioning all assumptions. The plugs were wired wrong, so what else is wrong?

I opened the cap and looked at the position of the rotor. It was facing toward the engine. Huh? I double checked that I had the engine at TDC for cylinder 1, and looked again. Yep, at TDC the rotor was pointing toward the block. Darn! Is NOTHING correct with this beast?

At this point, I actually went down to my car, and fired up the Moyer ignition system DVD in my laptop just to be sure that the rotor was supposed to point away from the block at TDC. Yep, Don confirmed this.

I removed the distributor hold-down bracket. Then I lifted the distributor assembly out, rotated the shaft so the rotor was pointing away from he block (the engine is still at TDC at this point), and dropped it back in. The little angled teeth engaged a bit and pulled it away from where I wanted it, but after a couple times, I was able to leave the rotor pointing directly away from the block.

Having re-timed everything, I tightened the hold-down bracket back down, replaced the cap, double-checked that my plug wires were still secure and tight, and reconnected my jumper wire.

When I turned the battery selector to on again, the positive lead from the coil to the Ignitor electric ignition stared glowing RED HOT and smoke started coming out of the distributor cap. OH NO! Somehow, I shorted out my new Ignitor electric ignition. The positive lead is now discolored a white-ish pink color.

Sure enough, when I check for spark now, no spark.

:/

At that point, it was just after 10pm, and I was too exhausted (mentally) to fiddle with it anymore.

Looks like I made progress, though, right?

I timed the engine, wired the plugs correctly, and even got the engine to sputter enough to throw water out the exhaust.

Tonight, when I go back to the boat, it looks like I'll be putting the old points breaker plate back on, since I fried my ignitor (doh!), and I'll continue from there.

Last edited by ChicagoNewport27; 05-08-2009 at 07:54 AM. Reason: typos. :/
TimBSmith (09-07-2020)
  #19   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 05-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Afourian MVP

Oh boy...sorry you fried your ignitor!

It does sound like you are making progress.

Perhaps before you switch on the key again, we should help diagnose exactly what you have connected to the (+) & (-) on your coil. I also found a lot of odd wiring in my boat from the PO, and have done a bit of double-checking myself.

I would also recommend, since you are putting the points back in to clean them beforehand. Be careful here, I separated mine too far and broke the spring. I ended up getting a Pertronix ignitor myself, although I have since found about 3 sets of old points floating about in various storage areas of the boat that probably would have worked just fine. A small piece of sandpaper (I find the black wet/dry works better) or even an old fashioned emory board from the wife works well...except for those huge new thick ones, they could break the spring.

Keep us informed!
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #20   IP: 68.224.125.99
Old 05-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Afourian MVP

Man, do we feel your pain!
BUT it does sound like you're in the ballpark now.
I totally agree with sastanley that you should check the wiring to that coil.
Can you take some pics?

"For some reason, at this point, I notice a black wire leading from the oil sender thingy..."
Did this wire have a FUSE in it? If so, is it blown?

Keep banging away, you're close!

Last edited by roadnsky; 05-06-2012 at 12:39 PM.
  #21   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 05-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Afourian MVP

Good thinking...pictures would help immensely. Then we can see what's going on.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #22   IP: 63.239.69.1
Old 05-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Afourian MVP

I have doubts about this:

Quote:
For some reason, at this point, I notice a black wire leading from the oil sender thingy (on the lower right side of the engine, in the front, as you're facing it) wasn't connected to anything. A close examination of this wire, I realize the black part of the wire is actually connected (with a wire nut *slaps forehead*) to a brownish-red wire (either a red wire browned with age, heat, or dirt, or it was originally a brown wire). Interesting. The other wire on this sender goes over to the fuel pump. Ah-ha, maybe thats why no fuel is getting to the carb?

I connect this to the positive lead of the coil, and try her again.
The "brownish-red wire" from the "oil sender thingy" is the sensor lead from the oil pressure sender to the oil pressure gauge. I'm pretty sure that hooking that up to the + terminal on the coil was not a good thing to do.

My sympathies to you for having to deal with a PO's wiring hell. I just went through my own this spring, but now have everything done in what I like to call "the right way."

Keep at it, good luck, and check those connections to the positive terminal on the coil!
  #23   IP: 76.100.53.229
Old 05-08-2009, 01:26 PM

Before frying more electrical parts, try to get your wiring in order. There are plenty of posts in here as to what goes to what and when. I've posted a few if you want to search my posts. Mine was wired incorrectly when I got the boat. I put in new wires, but still following the old paths. I finally figured out my errors (and the PO's) and got it right. Don't worry yet about charging and house systems. Your ignition circuit and how it branches out to the sensors and coil, etc. is pretty straight forward. Just focus on that.

A side note, most electric fuel pumps run off the oil pressure sensor. This is to prevent fuel pumping when the engine isn't running. Many boats have bypassed this so that the fuel pumps runs whenever the ignition is on. It makes a faint clicking noise when its running, but you shouldn't hear it until the engine starts.

Can you get some photos (sized appropriately for web) of your wiring? The folks here can probably spot your problem in a minute. Sounds like you've learned a lot so far, though! Keep at it!

Last edited by msauntry; 05-08-2009 at 01:30 PM.
  #24   IP: 198.151.13.8
Old 05-12-2009, 09:31 AM

Possible issue with wires from Oil pressure sender.

(Content warning: Post is coming from someone who can't get his own A4 running - read at your own risk!)

You mentioned that the oil pressure sender has two wires connected to it. Unless your sender is 'dual ported' or has two terminals, you may have a problem attaching two devices to a single sender. I wanted to put a temp and oil pressure alarm on my engine and I was told that I had to add two new senders to the engine and not just add wires to existing senders.

The Moyer rebuild engines with the electric fuel pump have a pressure sender inline but they have their own dedicated sender that accesses a port on the engine above the oil pressure adjuster (if I am remembering this correctly).

I would confirm that your oil pressure sender is compatible with supporting both the gauge and the 'switch' if it is wired to the fuel pump. (you can jumper over the oil pressure sender for the fuel pump if you want to test it)

Best of luck. I hope one of us gets their engine running in time to enjoy the spring/summer sailing season!
  #25   IP: 205.188.117.75
Old 05-12-2009, 05:40 PM

My A4 won't start either

Guess I will join the parade of solution seekers. My 1970 Morgan 33 is in her slip, launched by the marina before I could check the engine out. I have always test run my engine prior to launching.

I have narrowed the problem to not getting fuel into the carb which I purchased from Moyer a few years back ( It is clean as a whistle ). So far I ran a compression check( reading of 95 on all four cylinders ), Getting good spark to all the plugs, Removed the flame arrestor to check for air flow into the carb (yes ), Removed the mechanical fuel pump and checked for proper action plus cleaned passages and replaced the fuel bowl screen.

I was not able to refill the fuel bowl when cranking the engine ( thru hull closed ) I suspect a cloged Racor Fuel filter ! Does that make sense?

Am I missing something obvious?

Tags
frustration, spark, troubleshooting, video