• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orion C&C 33
    • Jun 2018

Smoking Vented Oil Cap

Hello Alfourians...

I'm back again to ask, can one replace the vented oil cap filler at the front of the engine.

There seems to be a little bit of smoke escaping... Last summer I removed completely the revers gearbox cover that had a spout with a vented cap and replaced it with a solid cover plate. No adverse effects other than a cleaner breathable air in the cabin.

The cabin is a lot more pleasurable, now that there is no plumes of smoke in the inner cabin nor engine compartment to set off the Co2 sensor on board.

My question is what would happen if I remove the vented oil cap... Same one that was on my gearbox cover.??

I can't see any advantages to keeping this old cap...

Any ideas anyone... I would be grateful for any feedback.

Mel
  • jcwright
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2012

Hello Mel.

The forum thread linked below (starting in 2011 I think) provides a helpful conversation about the purpose of the vented cap and the trade-offs involved in modifications to it:

best regards,

jack.

Comment

• Orion C&C 33
      • Jun 2018

Thanks Jack

The post was a very interesting read... Since the amount of smoke is all but a whisp, I think I'll leave things alone.

Cheers

mel

Comment

• lat 64
        Afourian MVP
        • Oct 2008

Out with the bad air

Fire safety is the prime reason for an engine room blower but it also helps keep it a tad fresher in the cabin. Also consider carbon monoxide build up from blow by gasses.
        sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

Working...
        X