• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave@rv-7.com
    • Feb 2019

Hello from Diamond Point on the Olympic Peninsula

I'm new to the forum

Thank you for all the amazing folks that have shared their knowledge, I have been lurking in the woodwork for a month slowly working through all of the issues on my late model A4. The boat is a Islander 28 that has been outside on the trailer for a very long time. Thank the gods that the speedo plug in the bilge was left out so the boat never had more than 3 inches of water. I have rebuilt the alternator, starter, carb, and fuel pump and gone completely through the ignition system. stuck valves are on the remaining task list but giving it the atf/acetone treatment and patience before pulling the head.

I'm retired from Southern California and looking forward to ending my sailing hiatus of 27 years. I grew up in San Pedro and have raced International Star class, and PHRF on a Hobie 33 and a Erickson 27. My wife and I are eager start cruising a bit in the San Juans on the Islander.

I am lucky enough the have the boat inside heated space so it is a perfect winter project.

Thanks again for the forum

David Richardson
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

Howdy,

Welcome to the forum!

I get to Poulsbo about three times a year. In March we'll be driving up past you to Port Angeles just to sightsee.

I often go to Longship Marine in Poulsbo to search for treasures. Do you know of any other second-hand boat stores up near you?

Cheers,

Russ
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• wristwister
      • Nov 2013

Welcome to the forum David, and welcome to the beautiful PNW. You and your wife will LOVE cruising the san juans and the gulfs. My Tartan is up at Anacortes and I just can't get enough of these incredible cruising grounds.

As you plow into your A4 and come across parts you need, send me a note. In the process of rebuilding an A4 for my daughter's boat, I somehow amassed 2 additional engines and a table full of parts. Heck, I've probably got what I need to build a whole 'nuther rebuilt A4!
      "A ship in the harbor is safe ... but that's not what ships are built for.

Comment

• Dave@rv-7.com
        • Feb 2019

Thanks for the reply wristwister

Well I was working through the issues but I can't get my head around the fact that the #3 exhaust valve does not lift off the head when hand cranking the engine. I wonder if I fractured the cam lobe or just trashed the lifter?

Inquiring minds want to know

David

Comment

• CajunSpike
          • Jan 2018

I just bought an Ericson 27 about a year ago. If you feel nostalgic, I have pics!
          Welcome to the group.
          Last edited by CajunSpike; 02-16-2019, 01:09 AM.
          Bill L.
          1972 Ericson 27
          Hull #61
          Atomic 4

Comment

• Antibes
            • Jun 2011

I have a 1978 Islander 28. Love the boat. Let me know if you have Islander questions.

Comment

• lat 64
              Afourian MVP
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Dave@rv-7.com View Post
              Thanks for the reply wristwister

Well I was working through the issues but I can't get my head around the fact that the #3 exhaust valve does not lift off the head when hand cranking the engine. I wonder if I fractured the cam lobe or just trashed the lifter?

Inquiring minds want to know

David
              That's not good news.
              It violates the first law of Enginicus; Two metal things cannot occupy the same space at the same time.
              sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Tim
                • Jul 2005

Could it be a broken valve stem? Have you had the valve cover off to check the valves, springs and tappets?
                Pearson 10M
                Gloucester, Va

Comment

Working...
                X