• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zellerj
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2005

Just hearing clicks and no stater

Yesterday when attempting to start my trusty A4, I just heard clicks, and no starter. I inspected and wiggled all the connections around the starter/solenoid and all seemed fine, I then wiggled the 8 pin connector under the companion way stairs. This pin connector is always high and dry and I sail in Lake Eire. Another attempt at starting and she purred.

I figured that I wiggled something to make better contact, so I took apart the 8 pin connector and it didn't look too bad, but I polished it up and coated with dielectric silicone. Now she starts fine, the starter jumps to life as soon as the switch is activated.

My question is does the 8 pin connector carry the current needed to turn over the starter? Would a poor connection at this point cause the clicking at the solenoid without the starter activated?

Should I look elsewhere for issues.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Best,
    Jim
    1982 TRBS Atomic 4
    Jim Zeller
    1982 Catalina 30
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
  • rrranch
    • Sep 2011

I'm guessing that connector carries the current to activate the solenoid. It would have some big cables through it if it went to the starter.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Found

Jim, per rrranch I seriously doubt the starter leads are in the connection. However after finding dirty pins I would say that what hapopened was that there wasn't enough power getting through to fully close the solenoid. You may want to look at your key switch for a voltage drop when in the start position. Key switches often add to the weakness of delivering enough power to fully actuate.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
      X