X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rockhopper
    • May 2017

Evaluation of rust damage

So far I've found no cracks in any of the engine. I've started getting things some what cleaned up trying to access the damage the rust has done. The camshaft lobes have some rust damage to them, the valve tappets, I'm concerned about the water jacket side of the engine. Will I be able to get this to seal or can it be cleaned up/fixed? The pistons appear to have some nasty crap on the sidewalls of them(is it corrosion) even after scrubbing them? https://goo.gl/photos/JsGTUpy2tZVA1F419
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rockhopper; 06-04-2017, 08:31 PM.
    Chris
    1973 Pearson 30 #411
    Trinity, North Carolina

Comment

• rockhopper
      • May 2017

Time to move on...

Well it appears it's time to move on from this motor. Perhaps something on it is still good but with all the issues Ken Seigh has recommended me to find a motor in better condition.

Some of the valve tappets are pitted with rust on the top and sides, the camshaft has rust spots on some of the lobes, some of the valves are nasty corroded and rusted.

Is anyone else having issues pulling up the Classified Ad section with the Engine and Engine parts for sale? It says there are 304 threads in there but when I open it all I see is the one labeled "fresh water, fresh water cooling New Moyer Fresh Water Cooling System Kit for A4 - never used by jblumhorst".
      Chris
      1973 Pearson 30 #411
      Trinity, North Carolina

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Try:
        Sort by:Thread title
        Sort order: Descending
        From the: Beginning
        Show threads
        You should see all of the threads.
        I also saw a "want to buy" classification. Maybe post in that classification.

If Ken has said it is time to abandon the present engine then that is the final word. You are wise to follow his advice.

You are ahead of the game. You have the mechanical skills necessary to take this project on. Enjoy the ride.

TRUE GRIT

A BOAT IS A HOLE IN THE WATER INTO WHICH ONE THROWS MONEY

Comment

• rockhopper
          • May 2017

That's what it was, the "From the:" was defaulted to the last month for some reason.
          Chris
          1973 Pearson 30 #411
          Trinity, North Carolina

Comment

• ILikeRust
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by rockhopper View Post
            Well it appears it's time to move on from this motor. Perhaps something on it is still good but with all the issues Ken Seigh has recommended me to find a motor in better condition.

Some of the valve tappets are pitted with rust on the top and sides, the camshaft has rust spots on some of the lobes, some of the valves are nasty corroded and rusted.
            Well maybe you can at least recover some usable parts and pieces, to have as spares for your next engine.... or sell them off to help offset the cost of the new one...?
            - Bill T.
            - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

Working...
            X