Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 81.48.35.94
Old 10-18-2004, 05:35 AM
Afourian MVP

Post Multiple discussion lists

Let me start by complimenting Don Moyer on the look and feel of this site. It is quite nice to find a pleasing mix of "ergonomics" and good information, all in the same place. The site reflects good planning and organization...bravo!

Since my purchase of a 30' Cheoy Lee this year (powered by an A4, of course) I have spent a substantial amount of time gleaning information from the Moyer Marine site as well from other sites on the net. In particular, I have been impressed by the volume and quality of information exchanged on the SailNet A4 forum (atomic4-list@sailnet.net). As the forum here at Moyer Marine is relatively new (at least in its present format), and I have yet to see someone post on the subject, I wanted to pass along some concerns that are floating around on the SailNet site.

In short, since I've been logged on to the SailNet site since June of this year, the number of new messages has averaged around 20-30 per day. In general, the chances of receiving pertinent replies to questions, comments or concerns is very high and responses often occur within hours of a post (or even minutes- some people seem to "live" on the site and participate regularly throughout the day!).

In short, the site is lively, informative, humorous and reassuring. The concern has arisen that the new Moyer Marine site will siphon off participants and dilute the sources of good information, given the fact that both sites are excellent resources of advice and information (you may have noticed that I'm trying not to offend anyone, but it's tough given the subject matter...).

A possible solution would be to merge the sites and gather the A4 community together in hopes of reducing redundancy and concentrating the knowledge base. This would help reduce the amount of "searching" necessary to those looking for advice. A "one-stop" for A4 exchanges could be created.

But, is this change desired by the community? Would it be possible? What would be the impacts on Moyer Marine and SailNet? What do the users think?

Food for thought for everyone involved. Perhaps a discussion would result in some sort of fusion. Or perhaps the status quo would win out.

I for one would hope for fusion. Is there some middle ground here?

Kelly

Cheoy Lee 30' Bermuda Ketch
Aber Benoit, France

Last edited by Administrator; 10-18-2004 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Fixed minor typo
  #2   IP: 67.174.241.46
Old 10-19-2004, 03:40 AM

Sailnet A-4 site

Kelly,

My experience with the Sailnet A-4 site was testing my patience. There were EXCESSIVE discussions for example into the minutiae of how a diode worked, occasional flame wars, upwards of 50 e-mails on occasion with everyone chiming in on how to adjsut the FWD gear adjusting ring, not to mention some folks who thought they everything! Also, the off topic banter occasionally got excessive and was a bit irritating. I logged off several years ago, but maybe it's changed since then. I just got tired of the same old stuff being re-hashed over and over again as folks were too lazy to look at fairly recent posts on the same topic or do an archive search.

In contrast, I belong to Sailnet's Ericson group and that's a joy with great people whome I've met quite a few, have been out on other Ericsons, and nary a spark, let alone flame wars. It's the polar opposite of the (older?)Sailnet A-4 site. Plus, here we have Mr. Moyer to tap into, what more could you ask for? Except free A-4 parts I suppose.

John
  #3   IP: 69.195.1.201
Old 10-19-2004, 09:29 PM

No interest in merger

I too, am not in favour of a merger, the sailnet description by Ericson 35 is accurate. This site is clean and easy to find information on. My inbox doesnt overflow every day and Don is a fine businessman. I say Sailnet fans go to sailnet, Moyerators stay here!

Gord
  #4   IP: 67.174.241.46
Old 10-20-2004, 02:17 AM

Merger

gord,

well said...I like the term moyerators.....

john M.
  #5   IP: 66.119.206.26
Old 10-20-2004, 02:38 AM

I agree Why merge an imformative group with one you have to wade through 30 pieces of malarkey to get to the one jewel of knowledge. There are a lot of good tips posted there if you have time to sort them out. I'm lazy. I'd rather just go to the source with my questions.
Jim
  #6   IP: 81.53.175.14
Old 10-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Afourian MVP

Post Loud and clear...

Thanks for the responses.

Although not unanimous, the general feeling seems to be "let a sleeping dog lie". The two sites (SailNet/Moyer Marine) seem to be appealing to their own niche markets. SailNet has tons of information but quite a bit of background noise whereas the Moyer Marine Forum is much more focused on the "problem/solution" model. Each has its advantages and advocates.

So the status quo would seem to be winning out. I for one will continue to dip my toes into both sites (if no one is offended) and participate when I can.

Happy motoring.

Kelly
  #7   IP: 24.17.155.218
Old 11-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

I concur.... this site is just the ticket "as-is". I've done the Sailnet site for years. Just sorta got tired of it. This is a very welcome change and easy to use.

Fairwinds,

Dennis
  #8   IP: 205.188.116.134
Old 11-06-2004, 06:05 PM

Cool Moyerisms

As previously noted--Don is going to have to pop down to kinko's to add a chapter--or at least a few pages to the book---once I find the cause of my intermittant shut-downs.
After my first experience with the "mMoyer Team" I'm saying "Whats with these people"? The person that answers the phone knows more than I do---they return phone calls---they are not only bright---they are courteous---great sense of humor----parts arrive promptly----quality is good---service is good---delivery is good---
What kind of a way is that to do business??????

Dave--Ft Myers
  #9   IP: 216.8.147.235
Old 11-09-2004, 09:14 PM

What do you expect from a people who actually sail? By the way, Don, I'm still trying to track down status of legislation that led to production of the Atomic Stevadore. My favorite source has just retired and is somewhere in East Africa on camera safari, so I'm looking at mid December for an answer.
  #10   IP: 64.112.194.136
Old 11-26-2004, 09:31 AM

Thumbs up

It is great to see this forum come about and grow so rapidly. Sailnet is great for many different sources of information, but who better to turn to for the final word or advice on your A4 than "The Man" Don Moyer!
1971 Bristol 34
Hull #17
Original A4

Currently in the Chesepeake Bay
  #11   IP: 69.175.0.116
Old 04-15-2005, 07:35 PM

Thumbs up Two sites is twice as good

Now that it is finally time to tabernacle (sp?) my '77 27' Catalina, I hopped onto Sailnet. There is a wealth of information there both on the A4 site and the C27 site. Mountains of e-mails. Sometimes too much. Naturally I have yet to see anything negative about Don Moyer and his business. (Can any company really be this good? and free advice to boot!!) I know if I get an answer from this site that if someone unintentionally misdirects me, there is a guru overseeing the whole operation to correct any misunderstandings. I like that. I've seen Sailnet bring up things I wouldn't have thought of, and some of those are things I haven't seen on threads here yet. (Haven't read everything yet) They do also occasionally recommend other sources for some things...

Anyway, it's kind of like television, what good would it be if there were only one station?