• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thesolarsailor
    • Sep 2016

Ignition noise on radio

Hi All

I have a 1976 A4 in a Newport 28 sailboat. A previous owner upgraded the ignition to electronic, the boat has been in fresh water forever so there is little corrosion on the electrical system. Here is the dilemma:

I cannot run a hard wired radio while the engine is running, I get a serious popping through the speakers which I assume is the ignition system.

I have rerouted all grounds to a single point on the engine, added external ground to the alternator, rewired the 1/2/both switch to meet ABYC standards and the problem has changed by maybe 5%. The antenna leads are run separate from any power leads.

I prefer to fix the problem rather than install a filter on each power lead, any recommendations?
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

What type of plug wires are you running, solid or resistance? Is there a noise suppression condenser on the outside of the distributor and/or alternator?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

AM radio?
      SSB?
      FM?
      VHF-FM?
      My engine will definitely make noise on MF or HF AM/SSB, but not FM. You can use resistor plugs and carbon spark plug wires (vs. solid copper) to cut down a lot of it.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
      X