• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsutphen
    Frequent Contributor
    • May 2012

installing Thermostat

Hi. I have late model A4 with what I believe to be original thermostat. I usually remove it and clamp the bypass hose when winterizing in the fall. In the spring, I can never get it back together. The indent is in the top piece, not the block, so trying to line up the T-stat in the indent and put it over the studs is a huge pain. I have been "gluing" it in place using permatex. Is this correct? What am I doing wrong?
  • jsutphen
    Frequent Contributor
    • May 2012

also, I have tried searching the forum and found one other person asking the same question. It turned into a "remove the thermostat" conversation without actually telling us how to properly install the T-stat without leaks and using a lot of swears.

Comment

• romantic comedy
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

It has been a while since I had mine out. Yes I run the original thermostat with FWC. I did not need to glue it together. It was obvious when it was in position. Can you use a thin piece to hold it in place as you lower it into position.

Comment

• jsutphen
        Frequent Contributor
        • May 2012

it is too hard to get something thin in between the upper housing and the block to get the T-stat to stay in the groove. Anyone else have any sage advice?

thanks,
        john

Comment

• Whippet
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2012

Feel your pain

He he. I had exactly the same problem. Gave it 4 tries and after water all over the block and 3 gaskets later, I just decided to be part of the sans thermostat club. I could have been more patient and gone w your permatex path to glue it in top housing. That didnt work? Seems acceptable solution.
          Steve
          Etobicoke YC, C&C27
          A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• jsutphen
            Frequent Contributor
            • May 2012

The Permatex works if you let it gum up a bit before trying to install the housing with the T-stat "glued" in place. I was impatient the first 5 tries and it kept falling out and leaking. I was just wondering if my way is OK, or if I am totally missing an easier way to do it. this past fall, I just warmed up the engine on the hard for around 15 minutes using a bucket and hose, then clamped the bypass shut and started pouring antifreeze in the bucket. I plan on installing the bypass valve sometime soon to I can just close it instead of using a hose cinching clamp or vice grips when I winterize.

Comment

• Whippet
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2012

bypass

Yep, i have the Moyer by-pass kit which does make life easier for winterizing. In my case, also gives a means to regulate temp. Still a mystery of design why the tstat indent isnt on block side instead of housing side. must be a reason
              Steve
              Etobicoke YC, C&C27
              A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• romantic comedy
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2007

it was cheaper to make the grove on the housing and not the head..

Comment

Working...
                X