X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Hall
    • Jun 2011

FWC Pulley Problem

I recently took my boat and her new MM Exchange engine and FWC system out for sea trials. During the first run I immediately found the engine to be running too hot - in excess of 200 at times. I got good discharge from the exhaust and throughout the system.

On the second run, I experienced the same high temps until the heat exchanger expansion tube ruptured. Prior to this I also noticed a squeaking noise - FWC pump belt slippage.

After allowing the engine to cool, I checked the tension on the belt and re-adjusted. Replaced the expansion tubing and started the engine. Immediately noticed the water pump pulley backing off the shaft so I shut down the engine. The pin holding the FWC pump pulley lacks a locking key like the PTO pulley has and was slippling. Unable to reliably attach it, I bypassed the FWC system altogether.

Engine continued to run very hot until I adjusted the bypass valve between the block T and thermostat. Once adjusted I got the engine to the desired temperature.

2 Questions - has anyone else with the MM FWC kit experienced a problem with the water pump pulley? Secondly - could the brand new thermostat on the new MM exchange engine be malfunctioning since it doesn't seem to be opening to direct enough coolant to the block.
Working...
X