Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   IP: 192.186.122.174
Old 01-08-2020, 04:24 PM
GregH's Avatar
GregH GregH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kingston, ON
Posts: 419
Thanks: 238
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Ignition Protected

Does anyone have a simple explanation, video, cartoon to help explain just HOW an "ignition protected" device prevents explosion?

I've read what it means, etc and can get the concept, but how, for example, can a simple mesh screen on an alternator, or a plastic cover on a bus bar prevent this when it really doesn't prevent gases from flowing over potential spark points?

What am I missing in my edjumacation?
__________________
Greg
1975 Alberg 30
Reply With Quote
  #2   IP: 137.200.32.22
Old 01-08-2020, 05:10 PM
joe_db's Avatar
joe_db joe_db is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,642
Thanks: 48
Thanked 488 Times in 358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Does anyone have a simple explanation, video, cartoon to help explain just HOW an "ignition protected" device prevents explosion?

I've read what it means, etc and can get the concept, but how, for example, can a simple mesh screen on an alternator, or a plastic cover on a bus bar prevent this when it really doesn't prevent gases from flowing over potential spark points?

What am I missing in my edjumacation?
The mesh "shorts out" a flame front by cooling it off. The plastic screen on a bus bar keeps you from hitting it with a wrench and making a big spark. Mine safety lamps work this way, the flame is in a mesh screen. If it burns brighter, you have methane, dimmer you have CO.
Reply With Quote
  #3   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 01-08-2020, 06:54 PM
ndutton's Avatar
ndutton ndutton is offline
Afourian MVP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 8,922
Thanks: 162
Thanked 1,429 Times in 961 Posts
The test for ignition protection by whatever variety of features* is very specific. The simple overview is a spark producing device is submitted for testing, the testing agency operates it in a propane filled chamber. BOOM = fail.

*There are different methods of achieving ignition protection. Using alternators as an example, the Delco base alternator typically has a screened back as one of its features whereas the Motorola has a sealed chamber capped by the piggybacked regulator and no screen at all.

edit: Ignition protection is distinctly different from explosion proof. The latter is a designation in the National Electrical Code under a number of classifications required for refineries, fueling stations, grain silos and in certain jurisdictions, woodworking shops.
__________________
Neil
1977 Catalina 30
San Pedro, California
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 01-09-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4   IP: 192.186.122.174
Old 01-09-2020, 08:33 AM
GregH's Avatar
GregH GregH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kingston, ON
Posts: 419
Thanks: 238
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
sigh.. it's these "little" details - simple, yet I could not find that kind of explanation online. My google-fu was weak.

Thanks hive-mind!
__________________
Greg
1975 Alberg 30
Reply With Quote
  #5   IP: 137.103.82.227
Old 01-09-2020, 03:32 PM
joe_db's Avatar
joe_db joe_db is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,642
Thanks: 48
Thanked 488 Times in 358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
The test for ignition protection by whatever variety of features* is very specific. The simple overview is a spark producing device is submitted for testing, the testing agency operates it in a propane filled chamber. BOOM = fail.

*There are different methods of achieving ignition protection. Using alternators as an example, the Delco base alternator typically has a screened back as one of its features whereas the Motorola has a sealed chamber capped by the piggybacked regulator and no screen at all.

edit: Ignition protection is distinctly different from explosion proof. The latter is a designation in the National Electrical Code under a number of classifications required for refineries, fueling stations, grain silos and in certain jurisdictions, woodworking shops.
I have a flashlight certified for use in mines that can have explosive gasses. It is basically a dive light, no air in or out.
Reply With Quote
  #6   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 01-09-2020, 07:02 PM
ndutton's Avatar
ndutton ndutton is offline
Afourian MVP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 8,922
Thanks: 162
Thanked 1,429 Times in 961 Posts
I did not mean to imply explosion proof was unique to the electrical industry, just that it is distinctly different than ignition proof.
__________________
Neil
1977 Catalina 30
San Pedro, California
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
Reply With Quote
  #7   IP: 137.103.82.227
Old 01-09-2020, 08:12 PM
joe_db's Avatar
joe_db joe_db is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,642
Thanks: 48
Thanked 488 Times in 358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
I did not mean to imply explosion proof was unique to the electrical industry, just that it is distinctly different than ignition proof.
I have seen explosion proof, vapor proof, ignition proof (which is NOT the same as vapor proof at all) and some other terms used for various things for sale. If you look at "explosion proof light" on Amazon, some of them actually are and a lot more are apparently using that term as a style adjective more than actually being certified as safe in explosive atmospheres. Dairy barns are one customer for these lights, can't have exploding cow farts
Reply With Quote
  #8   IP: 193.117.144.73
Old 01-09-2020, 09:23 PM
tenders tenders is offline
Afourian MVP
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harlem YC, City Island, NY
Posts: 1,377
Thanks: 35
Thanked 201 Times in 132 Posts
For mines, huh, joe_db? How useful.

I think we have NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT in the works:

The Moyer Marine Automotive Alternator Adapter
SAE J1171 is for the birds. This simple, disposable, bright yellow indicator allows the safe use of any non-marine-certified, off-the-shelf alternator with an Atomic Four engine in an enclosed environment. This biodegradable device is the cat's meow - so go ahead and bolt on that cheap, chintzy, random flea market alternator! When the indicator becomes silent, simply shut off the engine and get the hell off the boat. This alert-when-quiet design is cleverly and fully compatible with the other safety indicators that can be installed on the engine, especially the EWDS, which only make noise during an alarm situation.

We expect this product to fly off the shelves. CLICK HERE to see prototype. Stainless hook for engine room overhead mount, highly recommended but sold separately. Power daily with Marvel Mystery Seeds, also sold separately. Imported from Spain and awaiting final US Coast Guard approval. They seem to be taking their time on this for some reason.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tenders For This Useful Post:
GregH (01-10-2020)
  #9   IP: 192.186.122.174
Old 01-10-2020, 08:44 AM
GregH's Avatar
GregH GregH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kingston, ON
Posts: 419
Thanks: 238
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenders View Post
For mines, huh, joe_db? How useful.

I think we have NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT in the works:

The Moyer Marine Automotive Alternator Adapter
SAE J1171 is for the birds. This simple, disposable, bright yellow indicator allows the safe use of any non-marine-certified, off-the-shelf alternator with an Atomic Four engine in an enclosed environment. This biodegradable device is the cat's meow - so go ahead and bolt on that cheap, chintzy, random flea market alternator! When the indicator becomes silent, simply shut off the engine and get the hell off the boat. This alert-when-quiet design is cleverly and fully compatible with the other safety indicators that can be installed on the engine, especially the EWDS, which only make noise during an alarm situation.

We expect this product to fly off the shelves. CLICK HERE to see prototype. Stainless hook for engine room overhead mount, highly recommended but sold separately. Power daily with Marvel Mystery Seeds, also sold separately. Imported from Spain and awaiting final US Coast Guard approval. They seem to be taking their time on this for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3qypEcwM2M
__________________
Greg
1975 Alberg 30
Reply With Quote
  #10   IP: 98.117.4.37
Old 01-10-2020, 10:18 AM
Don Moyer's Avatar
Don Moyer Don Moyer is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,798
Thanks: 0
Thanked 95 Times in 51 Posts
Ignition protection

Building on Neil's post, here's a link to one of our MMI newsletters in which we tried to explain ignition protection. The ignition protection reference comes near the end of the newsletter. Don

http://www.moyerphoto.com/moyermarineNL/2-1-14.html
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Moyer For This Useful Post:
GregH (01-10-2020), tenders (01-11-2020)
  #11   IP: 137.103.82.227
Old 01-10-2020, 12:48 PM
joe_db's Avatar
joe_db joe_db is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,642
Thanks: 48
Thanked 488 Times in 358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenders View Post
For mines, huh, joe_db? How useful.

I think we have NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT in the works:

The Moyer Marine Automotive Alternator Adapter
SAE J1171 is for the birds. This simple, disposable, bright yellow indicator allows the safe use of any non-marine-certified, off-the-shelf alternator with an Atomic Four engine in an enclosed environment. This biodegradable device is the cat's meow - so go ahead and bolt on that cheap, chintzy, random flea market alternator! When the indicator becomes silent, simply shut off the engine and get the hell off the boat. This alert-when-quiet design is cleverly and fully compatible with the other safety indicators that can be installed on the engine, especially the EWDS, which only make noise during an alarm situation.

We expect this product to fly off the shelves. CLICK HERE to see prototype. Stainless hook for engine room overhead mount, highly recommended but sold separately. Power daily with Marvel Mystery Seeds, also sold separately. Imported from Spain and awaiting final US Coast Guard approval. They seem to be taking their time on this for some reason.
I was at Home Depot and they had what looked like a Pelican dive light on sale. I bought it and found it embossed with a Mine Safety & Health Administration approval for explosive atmospheres. Also works fine as a dive light or flashlight
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joe_db For This Useful Post:
tenders (01-11-2020)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A few critical suggestions Don Moyer General Interest 20 02-10-2014 01:45 PM
Ignition 101 HalcyonS Ignition System 14 12-06-2013 08:32 PM
Motor random jumpy stuttering, rough and stalling check your electronic ignition. riphonda Troubleshooting 8 07-16-2009 08:44 PM
A4 original ignition schematic (basic version) rigspelt Ignition System 1 09-15-2008 05:21 PM
Ignition protected alternator Mark S Electrical 1 09-12-2008 10:45 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Universal® is a registered trademark of Westerbeke Corporation

Copyright © 2004-2020 Moyer Marine Inc.

All Rights Reserved