Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Catalina

#1   IP: 207.81.177.73
Old 12-31-2007, 07:40 PM

Controls are reversed

I have a very early C30. At some point a Yacht Specialties wheel and pedestal were installed, thereby relocating the engine controls from the coaming to either side of the wheel, transmission on the left and throttle on the right.
My problem is that the controls are reversed, pushing forward on the shifter engages reverse, pulling back puts it into forward.
The throttle is the same, forward slow, back fast.
The previous owner suggested it was set up this way to back the boat into the slip easier???
I haved learned to live with the setup although it made for a few interesting moments in the marina when we first got the boat.
I now have the time to rectify the situation.
The obvious solution of swapping the connections at the pedestal is not an option.
Short of installing a new Edson pedestal, levers and brackets in the engine compartment seem to be the only solution.
Has anybody out there encountered this before?
  #2   IP: 74.40.167.110
Old 01-01-2008, 09:53 AM

I think this has been discussed before (although I read a few sites), but I believe the 'lever' on the inside of the pedestal can be reversed. My throttle is backwards, but exploring the pedestal is way down my list of things to do. Seems like if you take the binnacle off, it would be right in front of you???
  #3   IP: 207.81.177.73
Old 01-01-2008, 02:18 PM

Jim, thanks for the reply, but as I stated in my post "The obvious solution of swapping the connections at the pedestal is not an option."
I've had the top off the binnacle and due to the offset design and the way the controls are layed out to operate around the steering chain, flipping or swapping the levers in not possible.
The only workaround, as far as I can see would be in the engine compartment.
The throttle should be fairly simple but I think the transmission will be a lot more challenging.
I'm interested to see how other solved the problem.