X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marty Levenson
    • Nov 2004

Alarm questions

I am wanting to install a low oil pressure/high water temp alarm. One day I may upgrade to the full EDWS.

Shipping to Canada (plus $ exchange) is quite expensive, and my local chandlery only sells the Sierra brand alarm. It triggers at 6 psi or 200 degrees.

Does anyone have experience with their alarm?
    How hard is it to install compared to Cole Hersee?
    Anyone have a Canadian (Vancouver?) source for the Cole Hersee?
    Down the road will it be compatible with the Moyer EDWS?

Also - wondering about a flow alarm on the FWC. Anyone go that route? Be good to know the Indigo/Johnson electric pump has failed a few minutes before she starts overheating. I was thinking of wiring it to the same alarm....?

Thanks!
    Marty
    1967 Tartan 27
    Bowen Island, BC

sigpic
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

The Sierra parts are probably about the same and should fit in with the EWDS. I would think twice about using a flow alarm in the FWC loop, those pumps are VERY sensitive to any restrictions in flow. If you do it, take careful note of any increase in temperatures.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• Marty Levenson
      • Nov 2004

FW flow

Thanks, Joe. Now I wonder if restriction might age the pump faster, even if no temp increase?
      Marty
      1967 Tartan 27
      Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

By volume/time measurement the MMI flow sensor imparts a 7% restriction when in an impeller pump system. As far as I know there have been no tests done for the Johnson CM30P-7 electric pump that is popular for FWC. The flow sensor operating temp spec is 250°F. That doesn't leave much margin of safety temperature-wise.

If you try to source a different flow sensor with hopes of using it in the future with the EWDS, the contacts must be NC.
        Last edited by ndutton; 03-01-2018, 08:58 PM.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• HOTFLASH
          • Oct 2004

Low oil pressure/Hi water temp

VDO makes gauges that include, with the appropriate VDO sender, visual in-gauge alarms that can also be used with the cole hersee/Moyer Marine buzzer alarm. I purchased mine thru Fisheries Supply.
          Mary
          T27 Yawl
          HotFlash

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by HOTFLASH View Post
            VDO makes gauges that include, with the appropriate VDO sender, visual in-gauge alarms that can also be used with the cole hersee/Moyer Marine buzzer alarm. I purchased mine thru Fisheries Supply.
            Mary
            T27 Yawl
            HotFlash
            Please note VDO uses different senders than the USA standard. If you go this way, you need the senders too.
            My fuel pressure gauge has one of these warning lights in it that goes off below 1 PSI. I like the concept.

* I have one of these:

It runs the alarm and OPSS functions both, so it saves me an extra port and plumbing.
            Last edited by joe_db; 03-02-2018, 08:53 AM.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
            X