X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • S1lverfox
    • Jul 2012

Fuel Tank Cleaning

My A4 is ready to reinstall, so I decided to check my fuel tank prior to installation. I found a good half inch layer of tar on the tank bottom so I removed the tank for cleaning. It is a 21 Gallon Monel tank. No access plates so cleaning had to be by flushing. I used a 50% mix of Industrial ZIP ULTRA PURPLE cleaner/degreaser and water. It took at least ten applications and various soak times and air aggitation before I had a bright shiny tank interior.
    The cleaner cost was about $35 and the labor was dirt cheap as I never charge myself much when I'm working for myself. It did take at least two days to do the job though. I also replaced all Hose with new E85 rated
    A1. I've reinstalled the tank and just dropped the A4 into the Tartan. I have a Harbor Frieght Hyd Hoist with winch installed in the back of my Pick up truck and at high tide was able to Tie up my Tartan to the sea wall in back of my house, so dropping the A4 down the Hatch was a breeze. Now need to get everything hooked up and find out if she runs in the boat as well as she did on the test stand. Seems like other chores get in way though. Had to mow the grass today and re-register all my boats and vehicles. They all come due in the month of your birthday in Florida.
    Would like to hear of other Tank cleaning methods from some of the experts.
    It should be noted that the ZIP Purple should not be used in an aluminum tank.
  • Loki9
    • Jul 2011

Nice.

Half the problems reported on this forum could be solved/avoided by cleaning or replacing the fuel tank and lines.
    Jeff Taylor
    Baltic 38DP

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

S1lverfox, My cleaning method was to throw away my aluminum tank and replace it with a poly tank from Moeller.

Actually, mine had developed a leak from what I assume was years of water accumulating in the lowest corner of the tank as E10 came into favor.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X