Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 68.34.39.40
Old 10-20-2004, 11:49 PM
john

What is good perfomance and how do I get it?

Ok, Just like good theatre boat 'performance' is very subjective. My apologies in advance for the 'newbie' questions in this post. What I mean is the following. I have a 1967 Pearson Vanguard, 12000LBS, with an A4 that Don rebuilt around three years ago. It runs very well. I typically cruise around 2000RPM @ 5.5kts. When I get a little headwind or am fighting a moderate current it's not unusual for my SOG to drop to 3.5 to 4kts or worse. The previous owner put a new 3blade prop on three years ago. I thought this might be barnacles and such but just had the boat out, cleaned, new bottom paint, more electronic gadgets, etc... and the cleaning didn't make a difference as the buildup was minimal. I guess I just don't know what to expect and/or how to imrpove the performance if it's worth it. I don't even know if 2000RPM is a 'good' cruising engine speed or not. Your knowledge is grealty appreciated.
John
  #2   IP: 209.163.125.134
Old 10-22-2004, 06:51 AM

John,

Your performance data is quite good.

In their original owners manuals, Universal recommended 2000 RPM as the best cruising power setting, and your speeds, both through the water, and over the ground are not at all bad for your boat. The Vanguard is very well built boat, and with a full keel and the prop located in an aperture between the keel and the rudder, prop sellection is frequently a challenge. I'd say that your prior owner did a pretty good job.

Don

Last edited by Administrator; 10-22-2004 at 08:38 AM.