Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Introductions

#1   IP: 76.118.109.66
Old 03-28-2014, 09:58 PM

Re-Introduction!

So long story short in a crazy turn of events I did not see happening any time soon, we have sold our Tartan 27 and now bought a Tartan 34C

Well, this boat has sat for a bout 3-4 years so it needs a major cleaning and TLC

The engine, according to the PO, is the original A4 running raw water cooling, mechanical pump...

Starter and alternator appear new...

Have not started engine yet but I already started tinkering with it. Here are the plans:

1. Install electric fuel pump (had an extra one lying around from my old boat)
2. Run an acid wash, twice!
3. Run a thorough pressure flush
4. Convert to freshwater cooling (found a Moyer used kit locally for $300)
5. Install new Racor filter with polishing filter
6. Take out thermostat and run indigo cooling valve kit
7. Hope after all the changes that the engine works flawless like my T27 A4!

I will be asking for help here and there most likely as I have never attempted some of the above. My previous boat was already freshwater cooled so I never ran power flush either

When I first bought the 34, I contemplated switching to Diesel...I even found an old Westerbeke locally for cheap...Probably as cheap as it cost me for the parts I am spending on this A4...but after much contemplation and reading, I decided to make this one work...and probably eventually rebuild it...I just love the simplicity, reliability, and smoothness of the A4. Not to mention it doesn't drain my bank account on parts as they are plentiful.

I am looking forward to hearing her run in a few weeks!
  #2   IP: 66.108.25.205
Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 PM
Afourian MVP

Re-welcome Freddie

Freddie,
Glad you are not leaving the A4 clan, at least right away.
Big congrats on your moving on up to a T34C w/A4!

disclosure: I took Freddie racing one day on my T27 on the Hudson River. Great guy.
Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
A4 and boat are from 1967
  #3   IP: 174.58.84.3
Old 03-28-2014, 11:26 PM
Afourian MVP

Congrats on the Tartan 34.

I bought mine in 96. First thing I did was convert the Atomic Four to FWC.
I planned to rebuild it soon after. I am still waiting for it to break or other wise have some trouble........waiting....waiting.

It has never failed me. Once an intermittent fule pump got a little aggravating..
  #4   IP: 50.29.97.118
Old 03-29-2014, 08:43 AM

Good luck Freddie.

For what it is worth, the diesel/gas issue comes down to one thing, in my opinion. If you are going to keep the 34, the A 4 is the way to go. If you don't plan on keeping her for the long haul, then the diesel wins out. Most sailboat buyers suffer from GDS (gasoline derangement syndrome )for which is there is no known cure. Facts have proven useless. Thousands of happy boat owners, like the ones here, are viewed as delusional or in denial.

When I tried to sell my very nicely restored C&C 34 with a BRAND NEW A 4, I had a dozen possible buyers tell me they would never buy a boat with a gas engine. It was a deal breaker.

So, if your new T 34 is the boat for you and your wife, hang out with these guys and enjoy!

If you make it down to the Sound, give me a buzz. Maybe we can find a time and get Caleb and whoever else is around.

Skywalker
  #5   IP: 23.241.157.69
Old 03-29-2014, 10:26 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Talking Rebuild hah

Freddie, good luck on the rebuild, if you ever really need to. I bought my 35 with an A-4 and it was seized and the deal I got would easily cover the cost of converting to a diesel. I had to get the boat moved quickly so I spent 3 days getting the engine to spin and two more replacing an exhaust valve and bolting it back together. I figured it would last long enough to get me out of Oxnard and into Long Beach, sailing would do most of the work for the distance. In and out of the slip the engine shook and spewed smoke and foul air, kept running and did keep getting smoother.

Well it has been 30 years and this is the start of the 31st and the same A-4 is still running flawlessly and has not been opened since. Yes I have done a good job of maintenance but the engine has done a better job of taking care of me and mine. Now the problem is that I spent all of that "diesel" money on liquid bread a far tastier blend than diesel.

I may be selling Volador in the next year or so to move up to a larger boat for retirement. This weekend is my 30th anniversary with the other gal my wife. They have both been great as far as reliability and maintenance. 30 years is a long time my friends.

Dave Neptune
  #6   IP: 173.66.236.200
Old 03-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Neptune View Post
...I may be selling Volador in the next year or so to move up to a larger boat for retirement. ...
Then for sure you'll want an A4 with a reduction drive or a 2:1 v-drive!

#7   IP: 71.178.98.33
Old 03-29-2014, 11:46 PM
Afourian MVP

Freddie, Welcome back.

A jump from a T-27 to a T-34 is big..Congrats on the upgrade!!!! Good thing we have this forum and they have the same motor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Neptune View Post
I may be selling Volador in the next year or so to move up to a larger boat for retirement.
Dave Neptune..do not go thread bombing us with news like this.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 03-29-2014 at 11:50 PM.
  #8   IP: 174.58.84.3
Old 03-30-2014, 01:06 AM
Afourian MVP

I am sticking with my Tartan 34. i dont care if my wife says "we need a bigger boat" again. I am not going for it.

At least she never says "let's get a diesel".
  #9   IP: 50.101.51.157
Old 03-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Afourian MVP

Always liked the classic lines of the Tartan 34C - and her shallow draft keel with CB.

#10   IP: 96.244.238.12
Old 03-30-2014, 10:53 PM

Hey southcoasting,
Maybe consider taking the side plate off and hosing out all the stuff that accumulates in there. All the stuff in raw water settles out in the block after shut down and forms a nice sediment layer in there. A day spent with the garden hose and a coat hanger will clean it up nice!
  #11   IP: 76.118.109.66
Old 03-31-2014, 12:17 PM

Talking

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Yeah, I plan on first running the acid twice as I notice gunk on the walls...and PO never ran acid flush in the 10 years he owned the engine because he did not want to run the risk of acid eating through the engine walls

I bought enough of the fittings from Moyer to run the power flushing so plan on doing both block and head before I convert to FWC

I am just waiting for my yard to turn on the water...should be soon now that it seems we're getting out of this freezing temp

Can't wait to try to run her...

Over the weekend, I scored at my local boat consignment in Fall River on a "NOS" Racor fuel filter kit for $60 with metal strainer and an extra filter and two extra impellers for $3 each! they used to have an extra A4 sitting around but it looks like someone picked it up

Neptune, glad to hear the good story...Unfortunately, I don't think going bigger will give you an option of going with an A4 any longer...I think 36 is about the biggest boat I've seen with an A4...The more I read on here the more I know these engines are like officer John McClane!

Chris, I hear you about the A4 resale value...It is kinda crazy...I do notice the wiser heads prevail when it comes to getting good deal on boats with A4s though! As of now, I had planned on keeping her for a long time...I want to sail South eventually and the T34 would be a good boat for the voyage...Plus my wife is pregnant with our first kid so I think it will be a nice improvement for storing child seats, stroller, etc while cruising!

I think I may have the same issue many have where the longer you have the boat, the more you yearn for more...I always give it a though and assume the 34 would be all I ever need, but then again I thought the 27 was all I ever needed...my wife encouraged this move when we seen the 34 and I just ran with it

I am not sure I started like the typical sailor...I did not always sail nor did I start by sailing dinghies...I used to go fishing with my father off of Boston waters on a 18 foot power boat...

So when I wanted a boat, I wanted a sailboat as it was more of a romantic idea for me...So I started and learned on my own on the T27...I became good...mainly from many solo sailing outings in Buzzards Bay in some challenging conditions...also cruised overnight in a few places solo as well as with crew...

So the 34 is a step up but it doesn't feel overwhelming to me for some reason...Some bigger boats I've been on do feel like they're too much...maybe it's the familiarity of the Tartan itself...as my wife said, "It feels exactly like Destinada but bigger". It really is her like her bigger sister

I have always been obsessed with the 34's lines...Although the 37 looks enticing too after we seen one motor by us while anchored at Lake Tashmoo and my wife goes, "Ohh, I like that"... So maybe the T37 will be the next "last" boat? lol

She looks rough right now but I have started and will get her looking respectable soon...

Couple shots of the engine, its awesome access, when I was having her hauled, and the nasty decks which you can see, but, based on the corner I started on, they will clean up nicely
Attached Images

Last edited by southcoasting; 03-31-2014 at 12:30 PM.
  #12   IP: 69.11.175.242
Old 03-31-2014, 01:16 PM

Oh my god that looks like fun!

Nothing like a new old boat to work on - the excitement takes months to wear off (usually coincides with the first project that involves hours of sanding or grinding....).

Here's how I know:

Name:  Selection_007.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  20.6 KB

Our '72 Ranger 33 showed up last fall in similar condition. Should be done (lots of sanding and grinding) in June.

Tartan 27 and 34 have both been on my list of boats I'd love to own for a long time. Congrats!!
  #13   IP: 107.0.6.150
Old 03-31-2014, 03:34 PM
Afourian MVP

Question

I'm curious about what looks like a drum on the output coupling.
  #14   IP: 128.183.140.38
Old 03-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanleyclifford View Post
I'm curious about what looks like a drum on the output coupling.
My guess is that it is a compliant coupling to help with misalignment and to dampen vibrations.

#15   IP: 207.255.190.7
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Afourian MVP Emeritus

Gotta love the access to the A-4 on the Tartan 34 (and 30)!

Congrats and keep posting pictures!

I'm getting towards the end of a very long refit/rehab on my T-30. New paint, new teak, new ports, rebedding all deck fittings, new fuel tank, life lines, running rigging, etc. It's been a BIG project, the boat will really shine once I'm done. I wish you good luck going forward!
Repowered with MMI A-4 2008
  #16   IP: 160.79.139.10
Old 05-22-2014, 02:10 PM

T34c

Hi Southcoasting!

I just got a "needs a little TLC" Tartan 34 also - will be in Boston Harbor.

Can you post a pic of your exhaust if you happen to have one? Your setup seems quite similar to mine.

I have a RWC but will be keeping it RWC this summer and switch in the fall when she comes back out of the water to FWC. I got a funky custom built exhaust.

Also note you don;t have a raw water filter? Plans to add one and where to attach?

Thanks!

jack
  #17   IP: 76.118.109.66
Old 02-09-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwixted View Post
Hi Southcoasting!

I just got a "needs a little TLC" Tartan 34 also - will be in Boston Harbor.

Can you post a pic of your exhaust if you happen to have one? Your setup seems quite similar to mine.

I have a RWC but will be keeping it RWC this summer and switch in the fall when she comes back out of the water to FWC. I got a funky custom built exhaust.

Also note you don;t have a raw water filter? Plans to add one and where to attach?

Thanks!

jack
Hi Jack!
Sorry, have not been on here for a while! Now that I am starting my "Plan of Action" for the next season coming up, I am starting to get into research mode...

For my raw water filter, there was none initially but the boat had a strainer on the water intake on hull exterior. I am not a fan of them in case things gets stuck on the strainer and I don't ever feel like diving for anything...So I removed it prior to launch and filled the holes with epoxy and faired...then I installed a strainer filter on the inside between the intake thruhull hose and the water pump. Below are pics.

I also replaced the crappy thruhull prior to launch also because it looked like it would sink the boat any moment. I replaced with a nice heavy duty Perko bronze type seacock assembly like this one: http://www.groco.net/00-scks-valves/sck-systems.htm

While I was there, I had removed the depth sounder which was installed in the battery bank location. Stupid location considering you would be grounded by the time it detects the depth! Plus, it also looked like it would sink the boat any moment! I just glassed in the hole...Bought a new in hull sounder which I have not yet installed but will before the season this year...

How was your first year with yours? Boston Harbor must be nice! I like Buzzards Bay quite a bit because of the access we have to cruising locations but would be nice to cruise Boston and its islands one day!
Attached Images

Last edited by southcoasting; 02-10-2015 at 06:14 AM.