Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 24.161.53.96
Old 08-22-2006, 02:39 PM

Where is my dip stick?

Geetings all:
I have been restoring a 1962 Pearson Triton complete with an Atomic 4 of the same vintage. The previous owner took very good care of this engine and the thing runs beautifully. On delivering the boat home, I motored about
125 Km with-out a problem.
I have been learning all I can about the Atomic 4 from this web-site and Don's excellent service manual. However, I recently changed the oil by pumping out about 3 1/2 qts from a tube on the port side. I was baffled to discover a missing dip stick! After a careful search I found square, flat place aft of the engine that seems like it 'should' be where the stick would likely be. This area though, was not opened to the crank case. A friend with an Atomic 4 was also puzzled. I take this as a bad sign. I thought that possibly the oil fill port with the hinged lid might also double as the dip stick place and that mine has been lost.
I have also noticed that my oil pressure guage seems to be dead. These guages are available in auto parts stores...are they simple to replace?
JimH
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 08-22-2006, 04:55 PM

Jim,

I have no idea why you wouldn't have a dipstick, but it appears rather clear that Universal simply let your aft housing bypass the machine that should have drilled the housing and installed the tube to receive the dip stick.

The hinged fill lid on your early model engine was never designed with a dip stick feature, but if you drill a 5/16" hole in the upper right corner of the reversing gear cover plate (as you would face the engine from the rear), you should be able to stick a small round wooden dowel down to the oil and measure its level. All you would need to know is how far down the oil is at that location when the normal dip stick is indicating full.

If you could cajole some friendly Pearson Triton owner (which would have the same engine tilt as you do) to remove his reversing gear cover plate and move it to one side, he could give you a measurement down from the upper surface of his cover plate to his oil level. You could then measure and mark your wooden dip stick accordingly and at least have a way of knowing how high you would need to bring your oil level to correspond to the normal full level. The other Triton owner would have to be sure that his normal dip stick is indicating exactly at the full mark when he measured down from the top level of his cover plate to the oil. On an early model dip stick, the uppermost of the 4 marks corresponds to the "Full" mark on a late model dip stick.

Don