X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marty Levenson
    • Nov 2004

one greasy plug

I was checking my plugs yesterday and noticed the aft plug had a fair amount of thick greasy deposit on it. The forward three plugs looked clean and dry. wondering what could cause this?

thanks!
    Marty
    1967 Tartan 27
    Bowen Island, BC

sigpic
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Marty, do a compression check. The aft cylinder #1 usually runs a bit rich due to the design of the manifold and a bit darker plug there is not uncommon. But oily residue indicates blowby.

If the plug was just wet you could have a weak ignition spark or faulty plug. Are you running stock plugs?

Dave Neptune
    Last edited by Dave Neptune; 07-27-2019, 01:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Marty Levenson
      • Nov 2004

compression

Thanks, Dave. Will do. The engine is a Moyer rebuilt from May 2015. Seems a bit soon for rings?

Plugs are all the same type but forget which.

I do have the adjustable main jet (new this spring) - seems the front three plugs are well set, so doubt that's the issue.
      Marty
      1967 Tartan 27
      Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• Marian Claire
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2007

I once had a plug go bad. Caused the plug to be wet and fouled. I believe that led to stuck rings, oil usage etc. Try a new plug and see if it helps.
        Dan
        S/V Marian Claire
        Just to confuse things here is that old post. http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=4964

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

What Dan said and add a bit of 2-stroke (TCW-3 is best) or MMO to the gas so you are t around 100:1. The added oil will get to the cylinders and will often work sticky rings loose.

If you have an EI open the gap to about .045. This will create a bit more heat around the tip of the plug and aid in not fouling. If points try around .040. While you are doing this identify the fouled plug and place it in another cylinder. This will confirm a bad plug or bad cylinder.

A dry then wet compression check will yield good info too.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
          X