• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pace
    • Nov 2008

Tail shaft for V-drive unit

Hi,

I bought a Atomic 4 (new generation) to replace my old engine (first generation). The new one is a direct drive and my old one is a V-drive. So, I need to put my V-drive unit on the new one but I got a problem. The tail shaft is different and I have to change it and the adjust collar also. I know the procedure to remove the shaft off the reversing gear but if I can just remove the coupling sleeve is more simple for me. So can I do that??

Here some pictures of my two reversing gear cage with shaft.

Thank you!

Pascal

P.S. If you need some parts of old atomic-4 engine I have it!!
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Pace,

I'm not sure I fully understand your question and your reference to a "coupling sleeve", but in most cases (assuming the reversing gear is working OK in your V-drive configuration), it is far easier to move the entire reversing gear to the new engine along with the V-drive itself.

Don

Comment

• Pace
      • Nov 2008

Hi Don,

Sorry, I made a mistake in my addresses for my pictures. You'll see the "coupling sleeve" on those (I don't know the properly word in english for that) .
      Yes, I know about changing the entire reversing gear cage and it's really the easier thing to do. But, If I do that I continue tu use the old forward adjusting collar instead the improved collar. It's for that reason I have to change de tail shaft.

Here my pictures:

Thank you!

Pascal

Comment

• Don Moyer
        • Oct 2004

I understand, and good for you! I can see from your pictures that the direct drive unit has the latest adjusting collar. There is a step-by-step procedure at the end of chapter 6 of our service and overhaul manual (which I believe you already have).

Don

Comment

Working...
        X