Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Bristol

#1   IP: 67.72.98.105
Old 12-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

Regarding Zinc

Dear Minx27:

We had the same problem about a month ago. After some research and posting to the Bristol forum on Yahoo, we were to get enough information to pass on to our diver.

The zinc is located on the shaft behind the propeller. The Bristol 27 shaft is 7/8" in diameter. The zincs are available at West Marine a 7/8" shaft size zinc has a 1" length. Our diver was able to put this on without any problem. Also, the previous owner advised us that this was the correct placement and size zinc for the Bristol 27 as he had replaced several over his 7 years ownership of the boat. Originally, our diver tried to install a 1" shaft zinc which is 1-1/4" in length and would not fit lengthwise in the space on the shaft. Our diver's mistake in misjudging the size of the shaft.

Hope this helps.

Harley and Michelle
  #2   IP: 73.192.77.162
Old 12-26-2020, 01:54 PM

7/8 Zinc not seating on shaft properly - a story

Hello Afourians,

A shaft zinc story...

I’m “recommissioning” to get back in the water again after about three years on the hard.

I ordered a 7/8 limited clearance style zinc from Amazon. It was a martyr brand with the copper contact on the interior. A routine thing I do after a bottom job.

This is the first time it’s ever happened but, even tapping with a hammer I could not get the zinc to close properly on the shift.
I tried it on different 7/8” shafts in the boat yard and determined that The zinc was indeed an issue and that the copper contact was likely standing too proud to allow The zinc to close properly on the shaft. Was I gong coo coo and forgot my shaft size??? Nope, I mic’ed just to be sure.

I called West Coast zinks and they confirmed that they had heard about this happening before. by the way they’re a great company located in San Diego, talk with Michael if you have any issues. Great customer service.

The new seven eights inch martyr zincs no longer are manufactured with the copper contact. ( prob. Due to the cost of copper or supply chain issues I figure)
Of course I was a little concerned about this because I’ve always used the one with the cover contact and like the way the copper ball snugs up on the shaft. I was assured that this is OK and that my concerns about it slipping on the shaft were unfounded. So that’s what is being shipped out to me.

I ordered directly through west coast Zinc’s website because Amazon kept switching me to another vendor and I was concerned I would get a simulator zinc from the bad lot with this same problem. The bad zinc has now been taken out of the system ha ha Ha. Deep sixed.

Initially It made me wonder if I had the wrong size zinc but I know I have a seven eights inch shaft and ...well I am not crazy yet but coming close with this quarantine.

The proper zinc is on its way I’ll check it out and let you know how it goes.

Cheers to the new year!!! thankfully 2020 is almost behind us!!!

Elizabeth
  #3   IP: 73.192.77.162
Old 12-26-2020, 01:59 PM

Shaft zinc story continued

Also of note is the fact that unless you specify you will receive a zinc with a standard screwdriver slot machine screw head instead of the socket head cap screw with the hex type head. You can specify this if you call West Coast Zincs

I like the hex head because I feel like I can secure it well and not strip it out. Divers like the slot in the machine screw head because they don’t have to carry as many tools around underwater when they were replacing hundreds of sinks on service calls.

Hope this helps,

Elizabeth
  #4   IP: 73.192.77.162
Old 12-26-2020, 02:00 PM

Addendum

Zincs!!!!!