X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

#1 Unapproved

Oil Sump Pump Atomic 4

Does anyone know how the oil sump pump works.

I have been starring at it for years, wondering how to use it.

It spins in a circle, but i can not get it to go up and down. I am also not sure where the oil discharges from. There is a strange tube condected bellow the pump handle, but it does not appear that the the cap on the end is meant to come off. I assume tub has something to do with using the pump to remove the oil.

Any help would be great.

Brent J
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Brent,

You seem to be describing the small hand operated piston pump that came as standard on early model engines. They are thin enough so as to pass through the 3/4" pipe-threaded hole just under the carburetor, and they extend to the bottom of the deepest part of the oil pan.

I used to think they were a wonderful solution to removing oil from the Atomic 4, but I sort of gave up on them. Most all of their leather plungers are dried up, and even if you do go to the effort to resurrect one, they are difficult to reach and slow to remove the oil.

Don

Comment

• Don Moyer
      • Oct 2004

Brent,

I forgot to mention in my last post that the way oil got out of the early model oil removal pump was through the 1/8" pipe threaded hole just below the handle. Universal originally installed a long 1/8" pipe nipple in this hole which extended to the front of the flywheel housing and secured to a small bracket under one of the 1/4 X 20 flywheel cover bolts. Each time the handle is pulled out (approximately 6") a small amount of oil passes through the nipple to the front of the engine.

Don

Comment

Working...
      X