Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#26   IP: 207.118.20.35
Old 04-03-2020, 05:55 PM
Afourian MVP

For many years, I have had two "polishing filters" after the Racor: one before the mechanical pump, and one after. I tend to replace them yearly (NAPA 3012 or 3032), or if I clean the carb passages. They are about $6 each. The mechanical pump seems to be able to handle the added restriction of flow of a second filter. Sometimes I blow through the old filters to compare with the new ones, and the old ones are harder to blow through. This may not mean anything, just that the old filter elements are wet.
I also installed a valve on the bottom of the RACOR bowl to drain any water out. I there is any, I replace the Racor as well, assuming it has loaded up with water and cannot separate it out of the fuel anymore.
If you only have one polishing filter, it should be after the pump. That way any particulates in the pump will be stopped, theoretically. I think the chalky white residue is water corroding the aluminum. Put MMO in your gas if you aren't already. I think it will help the corrosion. I suspect the water in your tank may be getting past the fuel fill caps, then attaching to the ethanol. Then the ethanol/water mixture gets past the water separator. I stopped getting the emulsified goo in the RACOR bowl and in the carb when I stopped using ethanol gas. In my anecdote-informed opinion.
I see you painted your carburetor and mechanical pump gold. I feel the same way about mine. Happy sailing!
The Following User Says Thank You to capnward For This Useful Post:
scratchee (04-05-2020)