After long layup, no exhaust water! HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Originally posted by blhickson View Post
    Neil, I saw your wring diagram in the other post area. Can you see the water temp sender in any of my pictures? I may be looking at the wrong thing.
    Here is your picture annotated
    Attached Files
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• blhickson
      • Nov 2012

Yes I thought that would be the sender. I’ll get a new one and keep an IR thermometer on board anyway. Thank you everyone.
      Barbara L. Hickson
      Flight Risk
      C&C 33-1
      Chas., SC

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

There are different resistance range senders. Be sure to get one compatible with your gauge.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• blhickson
          • Nov 2012

and the rest of the story...

Dear Brain Trust, thank you to everyone for the excellent intel. I was able to get water out of the exhaust, bought the IR thermometer just in case, and left that crappy boatyard once and for all. After warming up for an hour, the temp gauge did begin to react, and after getting into the river and motoring against 1 kt current, within another hour she got to 160 degrees. Maintained this temp down river with 40 psi oil pressure for the 4 hours to the marina. During the trip there was a bit of a hiccup and I'm not sure why: the fuel gauge was jumping around like crazy and the engine ran just a skooch less smooth and the temp rose to about 165. I thought it might be the current? But then the fuel gauge stopped and the engine smoothed out and kept purring and the temp lowered to 160. And I did it all myself, from getting the engine re-started and the exhaust cleared after 3 yrs of sitting, to leaving the slipway and docking in new slip at the marina. But I couldn't have done it without you folks. I need to check the batched water volume, it sure doesn't look like 3-5 gallons a minute. That's another weekend! Thanks again everyone.
          Last edited by blhickson; 11-05-2019, 02:51 PM.
          Barbara L. Hickson
          Flight Risk
          C&C 33-1
          Chas., SC

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

Maybe there is a bit of corrosion inside the gauges that is causing the needle to hang up. Try tapping on the gauges with screwdriver handle while they are reading and see what happens.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• zellerj
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2005

Perhaps a little dirt in the carb that momentarily blocked the flow of fuel?
              Jim Zeller
              1982 Catalina 30
              Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

Working...
              X