• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ILikeRust
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2010

Got a dormant A4 running yesterday

Trying to keep what could be a very long story from becoming one, an acquaintance bought a 1978 Columbia 8.3 sight unseen, from e-Bay. Because he doesn't know hardly anything about sailing and I am familiar with the Atomic 4 engine, he asked me to help him move it about 50 miles from where it was on the hard to the marina he was going to keep it in.

Well, let's just say the boat "needs work" and leave it at that. We ended up not going on our sail, but I did at least prove that the engine will run.

He had told me that he had cranked the engine, but it didn't start. It's been sitting on the hard for at least a year (and I'm theorizing it's likely been on the hard for several years). I told him a few days ago to buy a new set of plugs and told him what to buy.

Good thing I told him to buy new plugs, because it needed them.

I spent about two hours performing a differential diagnosis on the engine. It cranked just fine and seemed to have good compression, so I figured it was either spark or gas. Turned out to be both. I cleaned the points and took the secondary wire off the coil and held it near the block to check for spark, and it made a nice big fat spark, so I knew that was working. I swapped in the new plugs and when I shot some starting fluid in there, it made a little "VVRRROM!" and then died, so I figured, "OK, we've got spark; now I need to get the gas going.

I took the carb off and opened it up to find it had some thick, varnishy gas residue in the bowl and gunk here and there. If I had had the luxury of more time and proper facilities (like a well-lit workbench and a good assortment of tools), I'm sure I could have done a much better job of taking the carb completely apart and cleaning it all out. But as it was, I did what I could with what I had, down there in the dark and stinky engine compartment of the boat, on my hands and knees, sweating my brains out.

There is a brass cylindrical housing in the fuel line, mounted on a bulkhead inside the engine compartment - I'm assuming it's some kind of filter housing. I opened it up and found it had no filter element in it (probably is supposed to, guess) and discovered that it and the fuel line were absolutely bone dry. No way the electric fuel pump was going to be able to suck gas all the way from the tank, so I poured some gas right into that brass cylinder until it was completely full. I figured since it was above the level of the pump, if I could get some flowing down to the pump, it should be able to create enough suction to start the gas flowing.

I also carefully poured fresh gas into the carb bowl and reassembled the carb and hung it back on the engine, doing the best I could to keep the gas in the bowl. I figured I needed to get enough gas in there so that the engine would run at least a few seconds - long enough to get the oil pressure up enough to let the fuel pump kick on and start sucking gas down the line.

So he's up in the cockpit turning the key and I'm down there squirting ether into the intake trying to get it to start. Crank, crank, crank, POP! Backfire. Crank, crank, crank, crank, stumble, rumble, POP! Repeat.

We did that for quite a while and it kept getting closer and closer to trying to start.

I then opened up the spark plugs and squirted a little ether directly into each cylinder.

Then we went back to cranking and it went rumble, stumble, rumble, stumble, poppita, poppita, sputter sputter, POP! wabbida wabbida, POP! wabbida wabbida wabbida POP! sputter stumble rumble POP! wabbida wabbida wabbida wabbida wabbida VVVVVRRRRRROOOOOOOMMMMMMM whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr kachunkkachunkachunkachunka.....

And away she went!

We had some whoopin' and hollerin', because it was a hot day and I had been down there on my hands and knees, fretting and cursing, for 2 hours, as we cranked the engine and it sputtered and spit and kept sounding like it was juuuuuuust about to catch and start. Well finally, it did.

We let it run for probably an hour, and it sounded just like an A4 is supposed to sound.

BUT - it would run ok if you kept the throttle up, but it you tried to kick it down to a regular idle, it would eventually just conk out. Plus there's something going on with the reversing gear because shifting the lever either forward or back is much harder than it ought to be and neutral seemed nearly nonexistent. I really just did not have the time (nor the inclination) to start digging around with that nonsense.

When we nudged the lever into gear to pull it out of the slip, the engine conked out. No matter what we did, we just couldn't keep it running.

There's the "oh ha ha" funny bit of the story where we ended up adrift in the middle of the Susquehanna River (i.e., shipping channel where giant, stone-laden barges cruise back and forth) and after getting the engine to stumble to life four or five times and then die again, I finally made an executive decision and tossed the anchor out and called the marina to tow us back into the slip. Suffice to say I was freaking out. We were drifting totally helpless out there, and it's a big river with a lot of traffic.

Anyhow, I feel confident that the idling problem lies within the carburetor. I did what I could down inside the boat with the tools and time I had (heck, I figure I did pretty well just getting the engine to run at all).

But we ran out of day, and I told him he was going to need to go ahead and get the boatyard mechanic to spend the time to get it running properly. I sure didn't have the time to do it (I'm confident I could, given the time and property facilities, but - I didn't!).

Anyhow, it was a long, hot day, and we did a whole of other work on the boat, but I felt pretty good about actually getting the dormant engine fired up and running. I have no way of knowing how long it had sat dormant, but it clearly was at least a year, if not longer.
    - Bill T.
    - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  • tenders
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Great story!

I agree, the idling and the stalling make it sound as though that carb needs an overhaul. It is not that tough a job on a workbench.

Comment

• Marian Claire
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2007

I flashed back to the old Batman show with all the "sound words". Great job. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

Good work getting the engine fired up. Definitely sounds like you have a main port blockage. I'm getting to be an expert of sorts on these -- my engine decided it only wanted to run with full choke yesterday -- but with the choke out it ran like a champ! I'll be fussing with the adjustable main jet again to see if I can open it up enough to let the blockage blow out. I'm just hoping it's not an air leak somewhere instead.

Running great with no load and dying under load is a pretty good indication of main jet blockage. Take a good look in there, and unscrew the main jet (be careful not to lose any small parts when you take it off) and let some gas out to clear the passages.

If you or him aren't going to do the work, have the mechanic check that first before any more expen$ive options.

As for the tranny, my boat doesn't have much of a neutral either -- I usually end up looking below at the shaft to see if it's actually stopped. I adjusted it once and it's better, but I need to widen that neutral area some more to make it easier to hit on the fly.

Comment

• CalebD
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

Vrrrooooom!

Then we went back to cranking and it went rumble, stumble, rumble, stumble, poppita, poppita, sputter sputter, POP! wabbida wabbida, POP! wabbida wabbida wabbida POP! sputter stumble rumble POP! wabbida wabbida wabbida wabbida wabbida VVVVVRRRRRROOOOOOOMMMMMMM whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr kachunkkachunkachunkachunka.....

Love the sound effects!
          Good job with the old mistreated A4 too.
          Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
          A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• ILikeRust
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2010

The backfiring made me wonder a bit about the ignition timing.

I managed to loosen the distributor bracket, but I couldn't get the distributor to budge. It was stuck tight. So I was unable to twist it to see if that made anything better. I was thinking, though, that it was unlikely that the timing was bad, because presumably the engine ran before the boat was put on the hard, and there was no way that distributor had moved, so I'm tending to think the problem lies solely in the carb.

I told him he really wanted to switch to the electronic ignition anyhow.
            - Bill T.
            - Richmond, VA

Comment

• David Masury
              • Oct 2004

Hey, no where did I read that you used new fuel... if it has been sitting on the hard I suspect that you have a tank full of ______ . drain the tank, put a new fuel filter on, take the carb apart and clean each piece... put things back together and try again. Skip the ether stuff... it does not help matters at all.

You have spark, you has some ignition and running, I suspect that the fuel may be laden with sediment and other nasties...

David

Comment

• ILikeRust
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by David Masury View Post
                Hey, no where did I read that you used new fuel... if it has been sitting on the hard I suspect that you have a tank full of ______ . drain the tank, put a new fuel filter on, take the carb apart and clean each piece... put things back together and try again. Skip the ether stuff... it does not help matters at all.

You have spark, you has some ignition and running, I suspect that the fuel may be laden with sediment and other nasties...

Sorry I wasn't clear enough - the gas tank and gas line were bone dry. Cobwebs and spider territory.

The only "gasoline" on the boat was the 1/2 ounce of yellowy-orange varnish stuck to the bottom of the carburetor bowl.

We filled the tank with brand new gasoline yesterday.

And there was no fuel filter that I could find. There was that brass cylindrical housing in line, which I think is meant to have a paper filter element in it, but it didn't.
                - Bill T.
                - Richmond, VA

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

This is one of those times I really want to be wrong.

Any concern the bottom of the fuel tank looks like the carb bowl did? Any reason it wouldn't? Fresh fuel in there might release the goo into the fuel.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ILikeRust
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                    Any concern the bottom of the fuel tank looks like the carb bowl did? Any reason it wouldn't? Fresh fuel in there might release the goo into the fuel.
                    At this point, I'm categorizing the whole thing as what Douglas Adams termed an "SEP"*.

*SEP = "Someone Else's Problem"
                    - Bill T.
                    - Richmond, VA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                      I have the same concern, Neil. Every dormant fuel system brought back to life should be expected to have the ethanol "experience". A fuel filter, or two, should be added as soon as possible.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ILikeRust View Post
                        The backfiring made me wonder a bit about the ignition timing.

I managed to loosen the distributor bracket, but I couldn't get the distributor to budge. It was stuck tight. So I was unable to twist it to see if that made anything better. I was thinking, though, that it was unlikely that the timing was bad, because presumably the engine ran before the boat was put on the hard, and there was no way that distributor had moved, so I'm tending to think the problem lies solely in the carb.

I told him he really wanted to switch to the electronic ignition anyhow.
                        An engine sitting all that time probably has the advance mechanism rusted solid.

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

timing & idle jets

nice work..

you next task to help your friend as mentioned above..idle jet (clean carb) & timing..maybe the springs are rusted as 67 thinks.
                          -Shawn
                          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                          sigpic

Comment

• Mo
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jun 2007

Good Job!

Bill, nice job getting it running. As you said, it has compression, it will run, and there seems to be no catastrophic problems with the engine. Appears that his fuel system from tank to carb needs to be cleaned, filtered, and set up.

We never know what type of expertise (or lack there-of) were used on these engines before we get them, so the adjustments could be off on just about everything. As you mentioned the reversing gear might be out of adjustment, ignition system might need and overhaul as well, electrical connections will need checking and cleaning. There will likely be multiple issues with the engine before all the kinks are worked out.

The guy was lucky that you were around to help him out. I agree, that you cannot spend all your time, in poor conditions, with limited access to equipment and tools trying to trouble shoot systems. He should make arrangements to have it looked at or tackle the job himself. Good job!
                            Mo

"Odyssey"
                            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                            The optimist expects it to change.
                            The realist adjusts the sails.
                            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ILikeRust
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by 67c&ccorv View Post
                              An engine sitting all that time probably has the advance mechanism rusted solid.
                              A very good point, and one that I must admit did not occur to me at the time, focused as I was on the gunky carburetor.
                              - Bill T.
                              - Richmond, VA

Comment

Working...
                              X