Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Catalina

#1   IP: 50.51.149.223
Old 10-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Afourian MVP

Just hearing clicks and no stater

Yesterday when attempting to start my trusty A4, I just heard clicks, and no starter. I inspected and wiggled all the connections around the starter/solenoid and all seemed fine, I then wiggled the 8 pin connector under the companion way stairs. This pin connector is always high and dry and I sail in Lake Eire. Another attempt at starting and she purred.

I figured that I wiggled something to make better contact, so I took apart the 8 pin connector and it didn't look too bad, but I polished it up and coated with dielectric silicone. Now she starts fine, the starter jumps to life as soon as the switch is activated.

My question is does the 8 pin connector carry the current needed to turn over the starter? Would a poor connection at this point cause the clicking at the solenoid without the starter activated?

Should I look elsewhere for issues.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Best,
Jim
1982 TRBS Atomic 4
  #2   IP: 66.209.254.16
Old 10-11-2011, 10:03 AM

I'm guessing that connector carries the current to activate the solenoid. It would have some big cables through it if it went to the starter.
  #3   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 10-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Thumbs up Found

Jim, per rrranch I seriously doubt the starter leads are in the connection. However after finding dirty pins I would say that what hapopened was that there wasn't enough power getting through to fully close the solenoid. You may want to look at your key switch for a voltage drop when in the start position. Key switches often add to the weakness of delivering enough power to fully actuate.

Dave Neptune