Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Catalina

#1   IP: 63.86.171.130
Old 12-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Question First time overhaul of A4

In a couple of weeks I've made plans to remove the atomic 4 from a Catalina 27 that I recently purchased. The boat requires a bit of work and I was told the engine has low compression so I was obviously going to start with an overhaul. I'm a handy DIYer and have done a couple if automobile engine overhauls so I don't expect that this would be problem for me. About the only concern I have is the difficulty in removing it from the engine compartment. I am waiting for delivery of the overhaul manual that I ordered from Moyer Marine and plan on using a similar counterbalance tool that another user has used to simplify the removal. I more than welcome any advice or things to look out for during the removal and overhaul process. Oh, by the way, I'm doing this while the weather is cold and snowy in the marina yard so that I can have it ready before the start of the boating season. The mast is not on the boat so I don't have the luxury of using the boom as a lift; however, I will have the services of the marina to lift the A4 out for me. I will be doing all the disconnecting. I'm sort of a penny pincher to the extent that if I a can do it myself to save money I will, of course without compromising quality or safety. Can anybody recommend an easy cost effective way to put the engine back in without the marina's services, or should I bite the bullet and just have them do that too? They will have to step up the mast for me before the season starts. Again any pointers are welcome.
  #2   IP: 89.251.61.34
Old 12-13-2007, 03:57 AM
Afourian MVP

Hello,

Here's a penny-pincher option for taking out/putting in the engine (photo).

The feet of the structure go into shallow holes so that I can swing the engine back and forth over the transom without moving the whole contraption. That's a one-ton pulley doing the heavy lifting. Rustic but effective.

Remove all the accessories you can beforehand in order to limit the weight you're moving around.

Good luck,
Kelly