X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • infy
    • May 2019

Removing corroded engine mounts

The top nuts on my adjustable engine mounts had seized. It rotates the entire bolt assembly when turned.

So I can not remove the mount from the engine block...

Besides soaking it with penetrating oil and heat... are there any other tricks or tools to try? The biggest problem is that the bolt will endlessly turn with the nuts.
  • tenders
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

I would suggest cutting the nuts off using an oscillating saw with a "bimetal" blade. The saw can be cheap (ie, Harbor Freight, $20) but buy good blades elsewhere.

Another idea: push a deflated basketball under the engine near the mount, and inflate it to prop up the engine while you switch out the mount.

You'll need to disconnect the engine coupling from the engine shaft coupling, of course, to avoid bending the shaft while doing this. And realigning the engine afterwards.

Comment

• infy
      • May 2019

Brilliant idea with the basketball!

I hear you saying just cut it off and replace. That's pretty sound. I wish there was a bolt I could grab at the bottom to hold it down so I could put an impact wrench to it.

Comment

• Peter
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2016

I had the same problem with the bolt turning in the mount and used a nut splitter to get it off

Access may dictate your options

Peter

Comment

• nyvoyager
          • Jun 2012

Just went through this. A $20 die grinder and 5 minutes. Be sure to wear safety glasses and watch the flying sparks

Comment

• infy
            • May 2019

Did you try an impact wrench?

It just worked for me. I was able to free 6 engine mount nuts which were seized to the bolt thread. By hand, I could turn the nuts but the assembly would rotate with the rubber damper inside the mount housing. It was useless. I almost gave up and before grinding it off... I tried the impact wrench.

Took it right off. Something about the impact action deals very well with these.

Wire brushed the bolts clean and it's as good as new.

Comment

Working...
            X