• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kday
    Frequent Contributor
    • Aug 2018

selling a boat in need of an A-4

Hi all,
    I have a great 30' Catalina, tall rig (1982) in great shape except.....I took out the A-4 engine that had a cracked block. I was going to put in a reconditioned one, but then ended up buying another boat before I could repower it. I need advice on how to sell my boat (where to advertise, how much it is worth, etc). It would be a wonderful opportunity for someone who wants to repower it. I'm new to all this and am in awe of your expertise. I'm just not a motor head! Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
    Katie (Cambridge, Md.)
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

A vintage Catalina 30 in tip top shape is worth somewhere in the mid-to-high teens, maybe low twenties on its best day if the sun is shining. An Atomic 4 affects the value negatively and no engine makes it a project boat regardless of its condition. Certain widely known boats with a pedigree can command higher prices. Sojourn out of the Silver Gate Yacht Club in San Diego comes to mind (legendary Ensenada Race winner in 2009). Catalina 30 #1 would command a higher price too.

Since you admit to mechanical limitations and apparently there isn't mechanical help available, you're left with selling the boat as-is (ouch). To this end I suggest a strategy that the broker who sold my boat to me used. After chatting about my boating history and experience - and knowing that the boat was pretty tired (a real project), he kept repeating that this boat and I were a perfect match. After saying it more times than I could count it became obnoxious, clearly a ploy of a pushy salesman. I didn't consider and would not accept at the time that he was absolutely right.

So the question is, where can you find your boat's perfect match?

Oops, I left out the most important part. The boat I bought was a complete boat with a working engine. Listed price was $15K. With a single one time offer (no back and forth haggling), I bought it for $5K. Total elapsed time between offer and acceptance was about 60 seconds.
    Last edited by ndutton; 05-21-2019, 10:56 PM.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

In general, an old non-running boat is going to sell for scrap value at best and "please get this thing out of here it's free take it I don't want to pay the slip" at worst.
      You certainly can see who bites, a buddy just sold a boat that ran well but needed some significant glass work in about a day for $4K. I thought for sure I was going to be taking it to the Maritime Museam for donation in the fall.
      You just might meet up with the person that wants a Catalina 30 and has an engine.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
        You certainly can see who bites, a buddy just sold a boat that ran well but needed some significant glass work in about a day for $4K. I thought for sure I was going to be taking it to the Maritime Museam for donation in the fall.
        You just might meet up with the person that wants a Catalina 30 and has an engine.
        Yes.
        If you don't troll bait you won't catch fish. As with fishing it can take patience to make a catch.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• edwardc
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          Oops, I left out the most important part. The boat I bought was a complete boat with a working engine. Listed price was $15K. With a single one time offer (no back and forth haggling), I bought it for $5K. Total elapsed time between offer and acceptance was about 60 seconds.
          So... since a Moyer rebuilt is about $5k, the net value of the engineless hull is...zero?
          @(^.^)@ Ed
          1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
          with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

You could do the math that way but if you invested a $5K engine into a $5K boat you'd have a $10K Catalina 30 with a fresh engine. If the boat is as nice as we are told (mine wasn't), the numbers still work pretty well, even better if the buyer finds a running take out to drop in.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California

Comment

• edwardc
              Afourian MVP
              • Aug 2009

I like your math better!
              @(^.^)@ Ed
              1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
              with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Kday
                Frequent Contributor
                • Aug 2018

Math you can use!

That's sort of what I was thinking....$5K for the boat and then they would need $5K for a reconditioned A-4. What about just putting an outboard on it? Do you think that would help sell it?

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Re: outboard, I wouldn't. I think a boat the size of a Catalina 30 looks ridiculous with an outboard. If your boat is as nice as you say, an outboard would make the situation worse in my opinion plus probably come close to the same expense as an A4 replacement by the time you add up the cost of the outboard, a mounting system, fuel system, throttle, shift and electrical plus what are you going to do with the existing prop, shaft and strut sticking through the bottom of the hull? You might list it for $6K to have a little room to fall back to, avoid spending anything further on the boat that you'll have to recover in a higher price and let the buyer, if he is the perfect match for a project, decide on a repower for himself? Again, I'm remembering that mechanical labor is off the table for you.

There are two A4s on ebay right now, both complete running engines. One is $3950, the other is $3000. With a little patience a buyer for your boat could probably find a used engine for under $1000 as a parts donor for a Moyer short block. There are lots of possibilities.
                  Last edited by ndutton; 05-22-2019, 06:01 PM.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by Kday View Post
                    That's sort of what I was thinking....$5K for the boat and then they would need $5K for a reconditioned A-4. What about just putting an outboard on it? Do you think that would help sell it?
                    In a word, NO.
                    It is the boating equivalent of doing this to help sell a car with a broken air conditioner:
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Anchors & Oars, Grasonville, Maryland. 7,087 likes · 219 talking about this · 844 were here. Anchors & Oars is a used boat parts store, and nautical home decor! Home Decor & jewelry shopping fo

This place is in Grasonville MD and has about 5 A4s sitting around. Call them and see if they have a good one.
                      One of them has FWC, an stainless exhaust, and an oil filter on it.
                      Joe Della Barba
                      Coquina
                      C&C 35 MK I
                      Maryland USA

Comment

• Kday
                        Frequent Contributor
                        • Aug 2018

Thank you!

This is really helpful! I'll call right away!

Comment

• Kday
                          Frequent Contributor
                          • Aug 2018

follow up

Anchors and Oars has sold all their A-4s, to Moyer! But I had someone contact me who is interested! Good connection.

Comment

• nyvoyager
                            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Kday View Post
                            Anchors and Oars has sold all their A-4s, to Moyer! But I had someone contact me who is interested! Good connection.
                            Kday keep looking. I'm in the same boat as i have been thinking about selling my Pearson 30...until the engine quit. I am on my way south tomorrow to pick up a zero hour rebuild.

There is a guy in NJ with a couple of running engines.
                            If it is of interest and you send me a email at smaarch1 AT gmail.com, I can forward his phone number.
                            A weekend to drop it in and you have a viable boat for sale

Comment

• Kday
                              Frequent Contributor
                              • Aug 2018

Thanks!

What I would really like to do is to sell the boat to someone who wants to put in an engine themselves. I'm paying storage fees and I was hoping to find someone who wants a great boat at a great price that they can customize. Think I'm unrealistic?

Comment

Working...
                              X