• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlbertJ
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jun 2006

No neutral zone and reverse issue

I need to position the lever in a very specific position in order to put the engine in the neutral. Moving the lever a small fraction of an inch in any direction would either engage forward or reverse. Would I need to adjust the transmission or the linkage to get a bit wider neutral zone? Also is seems that the reverse is not engaging properly. Backing up or stopping is always a problem. I would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction. I did try adjusting the reverse setting in the transmission, with no luck. Does forward need to be adjusted as well?

Thanks,
    Albert
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Albert,

Loosening the 3/4" nut (turning it counterclockwise) one half turn on the reversing brake band adjusting bolt should increase your neutral zone just the right amount.

As long as you do not run out of rearward travel with the shifting lever, you should not have to adjust the cable system on the boat, and assuming your forward clutch is working OK (not slipping at high power settings), do not mess with that adjustment.

Don

Comment

Working...
    X