No Start, is it a coil or distributor issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aaron B
    • Nov 2009

No Start, is it a coil or distributor issue?

Hi everyone,

I have been battling my little A4 for a while now. Initially I suspected the root of my no start problem was a fuel issue, so I changed the filter, cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor, and tried again. No luck. I then moved onto replacing the head gasket which as it turned out, was shot. Now I have the head and manifold back on as per the MM maintenance manual guidelines, and still, no start. I tried turning her over a little while ago and it sounded like a much faster sound. I'm not sure how to describe it, but It sounded as if there was way to much energy being delivered. I have to admit, I'm not the toughest guy around when it comes to dealing with electrical stuff, so any advice would be appreciated. I have seen mentioning of testing the arc in various posts, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

Thanks in advance!

Aaron
    Aaron
    1956 Kettenburg 38 "El Barco"
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

One simple way to test for spark is to pull one plug wire, insert a screwdriver into the wire cap until it contacts the metal - usually you can get a small screwdriver to stick between the rubber and metal. Then hold the metal part of the screwdriver shank about 3/8" from the spark plug while turning the engine over. Be sure to close raw water intake while doing this. The spark should be able to jump this gap with a healthy audible snap.

Comment

• Aaron B
      • Nov 2009

Thanks for the advice

Thanks Hanley, I will give that a try first thing tomorrow. Do you have any thoughts on the sound it makes, rather than the normal start up reving, it makes a higher sound that doesn't rev, it just stays at that level for the second or two I have the key turned.

Thanks!

Aaron
      Aaron

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

In another thread you mentioned you have an electric fuel pump. It is possible that you are hearing the sound of that pump. However, if this is the case it means that your electric fuel pump is not wired normally - unless you have the "deluxe" starting override to the "R" terminal on your starter solenoid. But let us deal with one thing at a time. Make sure that you in fact are getting fuel into the carb. Then perform the spark test. If you can do it, pictures of engines are beautiful on this site. BTW, if you do not already have one, go to the on line catalogue on this site and order your personal copy of the Moyer Marine Service and Overhaul Manual. That's how we all stay on the same page, as it were. Regards, Hanley

Comment

• edwardc
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Aaron B View Post
          Thanks Hanley, I will give that a try first thing tomorrow. Do you have any thoughts on the sound it makes, rather than the normal start up reving, it makes a higher sound that doesn't rev, it just stays at that level for the second or two I have the key turned.
          This sounds like your starter solenoid is not mechanically engaging the starter pinion gear with the flywheel, or the teeth are stripped, or the pinion gear's key is sheared.
          @(^.^)@ Ed
          1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
          with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

3 Basics

Spark, Fuel, Compression

Spark: See Hanley's post
            Fuel: You should see fuel pooling in the throat of the carburetor after cranking for a period of time in a no start condition.
            Compression: You should not be able to seal a spark plug hole with your thumb while cranking.

Take on one system at a time.

You will need to solve your starter motor problem first.

Does it ever end?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• lat 64
              Afourian MVP
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Aaron B View Post
              Do you have any thoughts on the sound it makes, rather than the normal start up reving, it makes a higher sound that doesn't rev, it just stays at that level for the second or two I have the key turned.

Thanks!

Aaron
              I concur with Edwardc, It sounds(to me) like a stuck solenoid or maybe it's not wired correctly. Have the wires been off for the head repairs?

Get some one else to peek at the alternator belt while you try to start it. They will see it turning or not. This will tell you if the starter is engaged and turning the engine over.

After you fix the starter, we check for spark, If no spark then you can isolate the problem like a computer tech , test each component with control.

More later,
              Russ
              Last edited by lat 64; 12-10-2010, 01:19 PM.
              sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Aaron B
                • Nov 2009

Thanks guys,

I will start with the solenoid as suggested, then go from there. Thanks for all of the insight! More to come...
                Aaron

Comment

• Aaron B
                  • Nov 2009

Update

I'm working with it right now, and the belt is turning. The sound is still a little off from what it should be though, it sounds to strong. I have not seen any fuel in the throat of the Carb, although I did last time around. I'll pull it and clean it, then onto the rest.
                  Aaron

Comment

• Marian Claire
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Aug 2007

AB: If you feel that the starter is OK I would take 5 minutes and check both spark and compression before starting with the fuel system. Both are easy and quick to do. When you do check the fuel system work thru it logically one step at a time starting with good fuel flow at the carb connection. Is the choke functioning properly after the carb removal? Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• lat 64
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Oct 2008

Super,
                      Now. The list is endles why the starter is turning faster(stronger?)

Top on the list is: You charged up the battery while you fixed the head.

next: oil got changed to lighter weight.
                      next: some krap from the head fixing got under the valve seats and is not letting them seal. This means lower compression and thus less resistance to cranking and it will spin faster faster. This would probably fix itself. hope, hope.
                      next: Some other problem is lowering the compression(relatively).
                      These could be stuck valves or thicker head gasket/s(two thick gaskets is good)
                      Some combination of these and a warm day can make a big difference.

So, you will need to do the compression test too along with the spark test.

Keep on keepin on,
                      Russ
                      Last edited by lat 64; 12-10-2010, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Aaron B
                        • Nov 2009

Still no luck

Hey guys,

I tested compression today, using a gauge since I don't have an extra set of paws, and the needle didn't move a bit. I tried for spark, and didn't see one. Just to clarify, and I couldn't find it in the manual either, checking for spark is done by holding the plug from the coil next to the block, correct? Sorry, my terminology is limited.

Anyways, that is where she is.
                        Aaron

Comment

• Marian Claire
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Aug 2007

AB: I pull the #1 plug wire off the spark plug and test. Any # will work, # 1 is just the easiest for me to reach. That way you are testing the system all the way to the plug. If no spark then pull the wire off the center of the distributor and test it.Others have mentioned the method of using a small screw driver to bridge the space from the end of the wire to the block since the boot covers it.
                          I believe you should be getting some kind of movement/measurement with the compression gauge. Did you buy a new gauge? Did you test all 4 cylinders? Dan S/V Marian Claire
                          Last edited by Marian Claire; 12-12-2010, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• lat 64
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Oct 2008

If you don't have compression, then you might as well stop there until you get it fixed.
                            I still have that gut Feeling that the valves are stuck open, but lets confirm it.
                            Test your compression gage on a lawn mower engine or some other easy to access engine that you know runs well.
                            This will give you a little experience with the tool, so you know what to look for when you are working in the cramped boat.
                            There are finer points to compression testing, but right now you need to see something—anything on the gage before you move on.

You may already know this, but I'll say it. Be careful to not flood your engine with seawater while cranking the starter for a long time.

Russ

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                              • Nov 2008

A Deal?

Aaron
                              Are you getting power to the coil? If you don't have a meter you can spark test to ground with a short piece of wire. If you have an electronic ignition disconnect it first. Don't leave the key on to long when the motor is not running or you will fry the coil/electronic ignition.

Do you have points or an electronic ignition?
                              Do you have an electric fuel pump and if so is it wired from the coil through the oil pressure safety switch?

The deal:
                              Get compression.
                              Then get power to the coil and I'll get you spark. Easy to do. All that's left is the coil and the points\electronic ignition and other stuff like the distributor cap, rotor, condenser, wires, plugs.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
                              X