Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 66.252.44.66
Old 10-25-2010, 12:08 AM

starting problem

Hello, Forumites:

I am trying to help my son get his late-model Atomic 4 running.
Someone borrowed my Moyer manual a while ago and didn't return it.
I have been looking for a trouble shooting sequence list on the foum, but haven't been able to find one. If anyone could point the way to one, I would greatly appreciate it.
In the meantime, here's a quick rundown on the problem, if anyone would like to try to point the way with minimal information:
The engine was running about a month ago with a cheap, knockoff fuel pump from whoknowswhere.
My son found a used Facet that runs on the bench, removed the old one, clipped the wires and put the Facet on, guessing at how the wires might go.
I think I have the wires on properly now, with a hot wire running from the coil to one side of the pressure sensor, and the fuel pump wire running to the other side. There is a third wire coming from the solenoid, which I spliced into the fuel pump wire. (Not so sure about this part.)
The immediate problem, however, is that the engine will not turn over, even with no fuel pump hooked up.
The battery is good and there is juice running into the solenoid.
I guess my question is, is there something that we might have done in messing around with the fuel pump that would have led to a no-crank situation?
If not, I will follow the troubleshooting sequence on the Forum – if there is one – assuming it might be a new problem independent of the fuel pump.
Thank you to anyone who might be interested in helping.
Gary Randall
  #2   IP: 173.166.26.241
Old 10-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Afourian MVP

Gary - If you are certain that power is getting to the solenoid check the battery negative circuit from block back to the minus side of the battery. Hanley
  #3   IP: 193.253.220.149
Old 10-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Afourian MVP

Gary,

Your fuel pump wiring sounded fine until you mentioned the solenoid connection. This sounds odd to me. As Hanley mentions, a no-crank situation points to a problem with your starter/solenoid wiring. Could the "third wire" from the solenoid actually be the wire coming from the ignition switch (key)? Without this wire, none of the current you see arriving at the solenoid would cross over to the starter when you turn the key.

My 2 cents...

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

#4   IP: 72.254.88.64
Old 10-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary randall View Post
I have been looking for a trouble shooting sequence list on the foum, but haven't been able to find one. If anyone could point the way to one, I would greatly appreciate it.
Gary-
First, here's a PDF of a Troubleshooting list from Don.

Second. As I understand it, the cable from the solenoid "R" Terminal is no longer necessary.
You only need power and ground to the Facet for it to run.
The ground is connected to the mounting bracket of the pump.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Troubleshooting lack of spark.pdf (13.0 KB, 894 views)
File Type: pdf Troubleshooting lack of fuel.pdf (12.3 KB, 873 views)

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #5   IP: 72.227.89.77
Old 10-26-2010, 12:53 PM

One step forward....

Forumites,
Thanks to your replies, I have been able to get the wiring hooked up correctly and the fuel pump now hums away happily.
As it turns out, though, the starter was a problem too, and needs to be taken apart, cleaned and reassembled.

(Long story short: The crank case at one time had been filled with antifreeze as part of the former owner's misguided "winterization." Believing that the crank case was empty, I added four quarts of fresh oil. After realizing what had happen I pumped out the oil-antifreeze, added fresh oil, let the engine run for 10 minutes, pumped it out again and added fresh oil. The engine ran fine for a while, but eventually the starter went dead.)
After removing the starter and opening up I found it filled with a gunky watery mixture, which I have been cleaning out with carburetor cleaner.

So, here is my current problem. I cannot separate the armature from the Bendix drive and cannot see how they are held together.
Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Gary