Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Drive Train / Propellers

#1   IP: 64.231.107.138
Old 12-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Afourian MVP

Indigo 3-blade prop instalation on C&C Corvette

Would like to know if any Corvette owners have installed Indigos 3-blade prop in place of the original 2-blader on the A-4?

Two questions:

1. Must the rudder be removed in order to remove the propeller? (On my vessel it looks like there is just enough room to slip it off without pulling the rudder.)

2. If the rudder must come off how does the rudder/shaft come out - does the rudder shoe at the bottom of the rudder shaft have to be removed - does the rudder shaft come out of the top or bottom of the rudder tube?

Finally, after conversion to 3-blade what are your impressions? I am looking for a little more ooomph! in reverse and slow speed maneuvering while getting in and out of the tight spots under motor power.

Cheers!
  #2   IP: 138.88.162.86
Old 12-22-2008, 09:56 AM

Option one:
Almost had this issue on my A35, where I thought I was going to have to remove the rudder to fit the prop. Turned out to have just enough clearance pushing the rudder hard over, though. Might it be easier in your situation to remove the engine coupling and slide the shaft in towards the boat, then put the prop in the aperature and slide the shaft back in place?

Option two:
I noticed the limit of rudder movement on my boat was at the top where it contacted the hull. A small amount of grinding here would give me a little bit more rudder movement. Making a small epoxy repair is much easier than dropping a rudder!

I'm not in a C&C, but the Albergs have a similar set of problems. I went from a 13x8 two blade to the Indigo prop. It pretty much is perfectly matched to the Atomic 4. Don't look for much improvement in reverse, though. Depending on the deadwood in front of the prop, the larger two blade may have the advantage here in being able to reach "clear" water. Next haulout I'm going to try to fair this deadwood into a more hydrodynamically friendly shape.

Reversing issues related to our hulls aside, performance in forward is good and the propwash that makes my rudder vibrate is lessened.
  #3   IP: 207.34.223.165
Old 12-22-2008, 01:09 PM

I have a C&C Corvette including the plastic 2-blader. Like you, I was concerned about the apparent lack of performance in reverse and did quite a bit of research around replacing the prop with a 3-blader. Based on a lot of advice from other Corvette owners, I concluded that there is little performance difference between the 2. I did, in fact, get to the point of trying to remove the existing prop but couldn't remove it from the shaft without either removing the rudder or uncoupling the shaft from the engine. This, together with all the feedback, convinced me to keep it.

Although I havn't done it yet, I do know that you have to remove the shoe holding the bottom of the rudder. If you become a member of the C&C Corvette Association, you get access to the detailed instructions about removing the rudder and other things. Link: http://www.corvettesailboatassociation.com/

Bob (s/v Saga, Bath, Ontario)
  #4   IP: 64.231.107.138
Old 12-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Afourian MVP

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Griffin View Post
I have a C&C Corvette including the plastic 2-blader. Like you, I was concerned about the apparent lack of performance in reverse and did quite a bit of research around replacing the prop with a 3-blader. Based on a lot of advice from other Corvette owners, I concluded that there is little performance difference between the 2. I did, in fact, get to the point of trying to remove the existing prop but couldn't remove it from the shaft without either removing the rudder or uncoupling the shaft from the engine. This, together with all the feedback, convinced me to keep it.

Although I havn't done it yet, I do know that you have to remove the shoe holding the bottom of the rudder. If you become a member of the C&C Corvette Association, you get access to the detailed instructions about removing the rudder and other things. Link: http://www.corvettesailboatassociation.com/

Bob (s/v Saga, Bath, Ontario)
Thanks Bob - I am a member of the Corvette Association but there is nothing within the web pages of "how to" remove and replace the rudder shaft and rudder.

There are a number of articles on rudder and prop appature modifications but it seems everyone must think rudder r&r so simple it doesn't merit discussion.

I still think there is just enough room to get that prop out????